Game of Secrets

Hi there!

This is really the last chapter of my 'When a hero disappears' story.

To avoid further disappointment, I warn you that the next 'chapter' I've uploaded is just an Epilogue and a Post-credit scene. Please check it out!

Enjoy!

Chapter 25: Game of Secrets

Gohan had entered a spacious bedroom. It was a bit outdated, but stylishly decorated in pastel shades of yellow and green. It didn't feel like it was Videl's room, though, as he'd expected her to have more personal items in it. Videl answered his thoughts, saying, "This was my parents' room before my mother died, so basically my mother's room. My dad never comes here, avoiding painful memories. But for me it's kind of my sacred place, a place I can go back to when I want to be alone."

"You sure it's okay? I don't want to taint your sacred place with our talk, it's not gonna be an easy one." Gohan gave her a concerned look, not wanting to invade her personal space.

"Don't worry, it's fine." Videl walked to the side table and set down the bottle of whiskey and glasses. "I'll be right back, I have to go to the bathroom." Then she walked through the door adjacent to the room.

Gohan felt a heavy feeling rise. So this was it, the time had come to finally come clean. And now that the moment had come, he began to doubt himself. What if she wouldn't accept his background; his past; his actions? And what if he would damage her relationship with her father when he would tell her the truth? The man wasn't that bad and he didn't want them to grow apart. And to be honest, he wasn't really looking forward to going down memory lane either. Even if he had found some peace in it, it still hurt like hell. Gohan sighed and walked over to the bed, kicked off his shoes and sat down on it with his back against the wall, while waiting for Videl to return. He drew up his knees and hugged them tightly, hiding his head between his arms. He curled his feet, one over the other, and unconsciously made himself as small as possible.

When Videl entered the room again, she felt heartbroken at the sight. It was clear that her friend was struggling, that it took all his willpower to be here, far from his comfort zone. She knew he was going to tell her his secrets, but it had never occurred to her how much it would hurt him to even try.

"Here," she said in a soft voice. Gohan looked up and she handed him a glass of whiskey. He accepted, lowered his eyes again and stared blindly into the distance. "You know, you should be having fun tonight. If it's that hard for you to talk, then we can postpone it," she said reluctantly, for she was very curious, but she wanted to comfort him too.

"No... we should talk," Gohan could barely get those words out of his mouth, he sounded hoarse.

"Okay," she was relieved to hear him say that and also sat on the bed, right in front of him, "but let's make it more fun." Gohan looked at her questioningly and raised an eyebrow. She answered him with a friendly smile and held up her glass. "Let's make a toast to the new World Champion first," she winked playfully.

"World Champion?" Gohan asked, not understanding.

"Yep, I don't know how, but you clearly stood above my dad tonight. Meaning, you won. My dad was saving this bottle of whiskey to open it when he would become Champion again this year, but I figured he didn't deserve it. So cheers to you!" She held up her glass and waited for Gohan to clink it.

He gave her a small smile and clinked his glass against hers. Then he put the glass to his lips and drank it all at once. His face twisted, "Wow, this is strong stuff."

Videl looked at the boy in shock. "That was a limited edition Karuizawa wh-" she then closed her eyes and sighed, "You're supposed to sip it. Not gulp it down like beer."