TWENTY EIGHT.

I jolt awake with Joseph's eyes still vivid in my mind

I jolt awake with Joseph's eyes still vivid in my mind. My heart is running a marathon in my chest, pumping the adrenaline through my veins just in case he's here.

I swallow harshly, gasping for air as my mouth goes dry, looking around the room with ringing ears. I spot Harry at the side of the bed, hunched over in his chair, smushing his face against the mattress. Memories of yesterday flood through my mind, and I have to fight the basic instinct in me not to panic.

I'm safe.

I'm safe.

I'm safe.

The morning glow cascades into the room through the curtains, making it easier to confirm to me that Joseph isn't in here with me. But a deep rooted feeling in me is telling me to be certain.

I slowly slip out of bed, trying to not make any noise as I lean on my hands. Shutting my eyes tight, I grit my teeth as I carefully shuffle out of bed. My entire body feels sensitive and sore, my skin burns as my clothes rub against it.

Somehow, I manage to get out of bed without waking Harry from his slumber; I would wake him to get him into a more comfortable position, but I have to make sure I'm completely safe. I bring my hand up to the door handle, my heart dropping as I see my bandaged hands. It takes everything in me not to scream as I carefully clamp my hand around the door handle, turning it, and pulling the door open quietly. It's time's like this where you forget how sensitive your hands really are.

It feels like a fist is wrapped around my windpipe as I walk through the house. I can't bring myself to look in the showering room yet, so I open the door to Gemma and Anne's room. In the smaller room, I can only see Gemma sound asleep in bed, but Anne is nowhere to be seen. My eyes widen as I see Anne's vacant place next to Gemma, my blood going cold. I shut the door carefully before moving down the stairs at a quicker pace.

I go straight to the front door, trying the handle only to find that the door is locked. I sigh a little in relief, walking away from it, only to stop a few paces later.

Was it really locked?

Maybe I didn't pull it all the way down.

Frowning, I turn around and move back to the door, trying the handle again- It's locked.

Okay, I'm safe.

I turn around again, going to walk away once more, but I stop after a couple of steps. I turn back to look at the door handle again, fear bubbling inside me.

Just to be sure.

I pull the handle once more, and it's still locked. A small weight lifts from my shoulders, and my heart begins to settle.

"It's locked, sweetheart." Anne's voice startles me, and I spin on my heel, placing a hand on my chest.

"I-I know. I was... just making sure." I frown a little, wrapping my arms around myself.