C H A P T E R 10

Confirming Alganier's allowed to leave, Yumi help him get off the bed. Even he's physically fine, and is back to normal again, as the pain goes away, Yumi had her two hands helping him. Maddie, smile at Yumi's gesture. She liked him, but she know it too well. Yumi had his heart already. And she's contented enough to keep their friendship.

They ventured out of the clinic, as what Jiro suggested them, they'll try to sneak the others inside the library, on the top floor. On the way, Jiro was stop by Pearl, asking if they can talk but Jiro payed no heed and continue to walk. "Jiro please, why are you ignoring me?" She try again one more time, finally succeeding in stopping Jiro who has no interest at all. The rest who was following behind stopped as well, Clarice who was beside Jiro all the time, take a few step away. Students who are around, also pay attention to them.

On his peripheral vision, Jiro can spot Dorothy beside Pearl, looking at her playing fingers. "Why do you think so?" He countered. The coldness in his voice, made Pearl frown.

"Your brother was found dead on an alley, early this morning."

"It seems like, he killed himself."

"We found his things few meters away from him."

"Things?" He wondered out loud, as his brother barely got anything when he left

"Yes, his pen, wallet and book."

"But he never carry a book." Jiro thought, as he received the said things of his brother.

"I shouldn't have just let my assumptions passed like nothing." Jiro speak nonchalantly, his eyes on the ground as his eyebrows raised together, with pucker lips. His hands that were shove in his pocket, even went deeper as he tried to conceal his disappoinment. "I know Dorothy could never hurt the person she like. I'm sure about it. On the other hand, it could be not Dorothy, but she won't be there alone in empty alley, even with my brother." His empty eyes shift to Dorothy, and to Pearl. Shaking his head, as he took a deep breath. "But then, I also realized, family matter the most, than someone who can't even return your feelings." After mustering her courage, Dorothy lift her head. Her shaky and teary eyes, meet the cold ones of Jiro.

They stared at each other. Dorothy letting her tears fall down her cheeks. Jerald who saw Pearl seems baffled with what's happening, motion his hand. At that moment, Pearl's memory came flooding to her mind. She choke at her sob, as the last thing that she saw, was Alexis's out of mind state. Her legs felt weak, can't keep up on her feet. "I'm sorry.." Dorothy cried silently, as she too found it hard to stand on her own feet.

There you go again. The word 'sorry' it's something he never want to hear. Especially about something that can't be take back anymore. Giving no response, Jiro fixed his gaze ahead of him. And he saw their other three friends: Mateo, Ian and Edward whose part of top 10. They empathy with him, as they talk with their eyes. Despite knowing, Jiro don't like it they still say it. "We're sorry." With gritted teeth. Jiro walk past them, like he never saw them standing there.

"A place full of wisdom from centuries up til the present: it's where the knowledge begun." Alganier read out loud. Head turns as he stop not long after everyone.

"That sounds like a riddle to me." Yumi retorted, advancing to the wall as she trace the letters. It felt magical.

"How can we go up there?" Micheal asked, looking up the high building in front them. The big window reflecting the sunlight.

"If you can make illusion to the CCTV, it wouldn't be hard." Jiro answered them, as he stuff his hands back to his pocket. Giving them his nonchalant look. When the rest nod. They continue making their way inside. But as soon as they stepped a foot inside, a sudden drop of temperature made them shiver. Whispering swirl around as they enter. Alganier signal Yumi.

Suddenly it was back to normal. Two people appearing in to the thin air, startling them. The two female students look around in confusion as the book on their hands drop. Their eyes widen, flailing their hands. Jerald run to take the book and flip the pages. "There you go." He pluck the piece of puzzle from the page, closing the book as he put it down the table.

"There's no much time, we need to hurry before they were back to reality." Yumi informed, her eyes locking with Jiro. "No one can see us, even the people behind those cameras." They hurried enter the lift, pressing the button as it carries them up to top. Series of gasped was heard, as they wander around, taking in their fascinating surrounding.

"Loraine?" Maddie called, making the rest stop as they look at the person who was busy at the computer. It was Jonathan's friend. The latter look up, eyes glinting to the sight of Maddie. She stood up, sharing a hug. "Glad to know you're part the top 10."

Loraine shyly nodded, as she chin pointed the girl in front. "How about you? How come you're not, when you're much smarter than me?"

"Guess it was a lie. Maybe I'm not." Maddie shrug, nonetheless happy to see her highschool friend. She pointed the others and introduced them to each other, telling Loraine their reason of being there, as she happily offer them her help. They made themselves comfortable, sipping coffee, eating pastry which seems to be magically appearing on the counter inside the pantry. Devouring every food they found, making themselves full.

"This is such a big privilege." Kenley huffed, stuffing his mouth with big bite of carrot cupcake.

"At least you manage to experience this." Micheal points out, snorting as he toasted with Jeffrey. Happy is underestimate to what they feel right now. It made them feel carefree at the moment, forgetting the fate that awaits them in the following days.

As they finished eating, Jiro clasps his hands, giving them glances. "This is what I do, to keep my score up. And hoping it'll help some of us here." A small smile appeared on his face, as he grabbed a book in one of the shelves, putting it down in front of them. "There are tricky questions, that will make you think hard and give you a good amount of score."

"Are we gonna answer it?" Heather asked. Jiro nod in approval, waving a sheet of papers.

"You're going to need this. We already have one piece of puzzle, how many are we here?" He started counting them, including himself. "Twelve, stand beside me if you're part of the rank." Raymark, Alganier, Loraine stood beside him. "We need eight more of puzzles, but knowing how many students are there, who's willing to do anything to find the pieces. Is making the possibility of us getting at least the half of it, small."

"So we'll work to get them in the rank?" Alganier question, getting approval from the latter. He handed it to them, including those who already enter the rank.

"5 correct answers can grant us 600 points. Shall we start?" They were divided, some of them on floor, some outside working on the computer, while the others on the couch. There were grunts and sigh of relief, as they work in hope of getting a score.

"I made it!" Maddie squeal, showing her device on them. She made it to top 10, Raymark on the rank 8 as Loraine, remain on the rank 5. Clarice pouted, throwing her pen.

"I can't barely got two correct answer, this is frustrating." Clarice blurt out, as she scratch her head in frustration.

"We still have time, later we'll search for othe pieces of puzzle." Alganier assured her, as he gained the exact 600 points. But Jiro is way far above him. He's 3000 points ahead of him.

"Life is already hard, let's not make it harder."