The Vampire's Bride -2

Chapter 2:

Alina's P.O.V:

Science states that evolution of mankind wasn’t a straight line. Several species had to become extinct for the ultimate survivor to reign on this Earth. Humans. Homo sapiens. Human beings came from the pre-historic apes. They evolved over a span of millions of years, how many, even scientists have their doubt. Their best bets are the fossils that they’d discovered from ancient ruins. From quadrupedal to bipedal locomotion, increase in cranial capacity, change in food habits, etc. took millennia to ultimately result in the perfect modern man who has made Earth the supreme habitat. If you think so, you couldn’t be more wrong.

Human beings weren’t the only creatures who survived the eons of trial that Mother Nature inflicted upon us. No, there were others. Others who were stronger. Faster. Deadlier. Higher on the food chain. They never lost the habit of devouring raw flesh and blood, surviving purely on their animalistic instincts, speed and agility became a part of their genetic makeup. For centuries they’d been in hiding, never letting the world know of their existence until it was the last thing they knew. They preyed on us and stayed out of human sight just like a predator. Because they are the most impeccable of all predators. They are, the Vampires.

How do I know all of this? How do I even know that vampires are real? How do I about their history? No, it’s not because they’ve been discovered by scientists or they’ve made themselves known to the world. It’s because my father works for them.
It’s because I’m engaged to be a Vampire, Erick Stayton’s bride.
He's the heir to the Stayton Inc. a company that specializes in marketing blood from donors and has blood banks in several parts of the U.S. A charitable organization looking for the betterment of the world, interested in helping people in need. But no one really knows that it’s a facade, for only 10% of the blood they collect goes to charity, the rest is supplied to vampires all over Canada. They also run a security service for VIP's and business tycoons, those who are in need of protection. All in all, he and his family are super rich and super arrogant and very, very powerful.

Erick Stayton, my fiancé, is one of the most eligible bachelors in Canada. A lot of girls would die to catch his attention. But he is too arrogant to stay with one person for more than a week, that is, according to Men’s Fashion and GQ. He's a ruthless and savage predator. For me, vampires have never been in fairytales, they’ve always been the people I’d known and feared. And Erick had always been at the top of that list.

My family are some of the few who know about their secret. My father is the branch manager of the Main Canadian Blood Bank. Our families have been close even before I was born. Erick himself is the youngest child of the family so we have an age difference of about 3 years. My mother and his mother were the ones who’d arranged this wedding right after I was born. I don’t have any idea why though. Why choose a human girl who had no interest in Vampires whatsoever rather than choosing someone more fitting? Someone of the same race. It’s no secret that I’ve never liked vampires to begin with. Blood banks were a relatively modern creation. Who knows how many lives they’d taken before the invention?

Coming back to Erick, everyone expected us to be great friends, thought that we’d grow up loving each other. But it's always been the exact opposite. I hate him with a passion. It's not just because he's a vampire that I hate him though. Oh no, it runs way deeper. You see, I've always avoided Erick ever since I was a child. He was always with the popular crowd, the bully's, being naturally attractive, as was with every other predator in the planet. So it was natural to avoid him just so I’d stay away from his line of sight. It’s not that he didn’t know about me, but we’d kept our distance right from the start. But as I began to grow, I started attending parties with my parents and he finally started to notice me. It was still going ok, I could handle a few snide comments here and there, but it was when he and his mother had come to visit my parents one day when everything went wrong.