Chapter 1: Goodbye London

Rose woke up with a start, having that horrible reoccurring nightmare. The dark figure would chase her through very familiar streets, a gun in his hand. She knew it was only moments before he would reach her but every-time he got close, she woke up in hot sweat. She would never tell anyone about these dreams, just encase they thought she was crazy. But since the war, these dreams only got worse. To the point were some nights, she wouldn't even sleep.

But London hadn't always been her home, she once lived in Birmingham. Where the coal miners never stopped working and where her old friends the Shelby's would rule. She hadn't written to Polly in months. Since she never had a mother, Polly was important to her and they would write quite regularly during the war. They had moved to London for business purposes since her father thought it would be best. They weren't close but he did do a lot to protect her and give her as much comfort as he could.

He only went to war in the last year and came back with minor injuries and thankfully he wasn't too badly mentally scarred. With having not much sleep, Rose climbed out of bed and got ready for the rainy day in London. She was wearing a basic dress, her favourite pairs of gloves and a black hat. To warn off any men that would try to talk to her.

She found wearing a black hat tricked some people into thinking she was a widow and that seemed to keep them at bay. She didn't have many friends but she did have one in the nearby coffeehouse. During the war and after, it seemed to be a place she'd spend most of her time.

She opened the familiar door and saw her friend Evie at the counter, writing something on her notepad. Her father owned the popular coffeehouse and so she was lucky enough to be able to work there.

'Morning Rose, the usual?' asked Evie, happily.

'That would be wonderful, thanks Evie' said Rose.

As Evie prepared her coffee, Rose took her usual seat by the window and began reading a novel she kept with her daily. Alice in Wonderland. Although it was designed for children, since reading it at a young age it became her favourite novel and she also loved the memories it gave her.

She was once in love with a boy, the same age as her. His name was John Shelby and he always had a cheeky grin on his face. He was always getting told off for something and he didn't have the best manners. But he treated her like a princess.

They started playing and hanging out as children but as they got older their feelings increased and they became official when they were 15. But once her father decided to leave the city they decided to part ways, promising each other that maybe one day they'd find their way back to each other. It had been years since then and she had heard nothing from him since the beginning of the war. She only knew he was alive because of Polly.

Evie brought her out of her memories when she tapped her shoulder. 'Rose, are you okay?' asked Evie. Rose shook herself out of them and took in her surroundings. 'Yes I'm fine' said Rose.

'More nightmares?' wondered Evie, gently.

Rose nodded. 'Just the same as always' said Rose.

'You know, I've always wondered what they mean.. but maybe it'll all become clear in time' said Evie, in deep thought. 'Yeah you right' said Rose, with a small smile.

'Evie!! These orders aren't going to box themselves!!' shouted a voice from the back.

'Coming Father!' cried Evie. 'I'll see you later, enjoy your coffee' said Evie, with a smile. Her figure disappeared in the back and she didn't come out again the whole time she was there.

She sat sipping her coffee for what seemed like hours, just watching the people of London out in the rain. Some trying to get home, others getting to work and some others looking completely lost. Sometimes she contemplated what was to become of her life. She'd only got away without marrying all this time due to her patient father but she could tell even he was getting fed up of her stubbornness. She had dreams of becoming a designer in Paris one day but was convinced they'd never happen. Her father wasn't exactly very supporting.