Chapter 10: Cutting deep

The tent was small but cosy. Rose felt a little strange in her night dress while Tommy was in the same room. He hadn't taken his eyes of her. For now the two of them sat at other ends of the tent, trying to be as far away as possible.

Rose warned him that if he didn't keep his distance, she'd never speak to him again. She began reading as she needed to escape. And books was one of her only pleasures these days. It wasn't too cold tonight so only a few candles were lit. Making the room a mixture of both light and dark. The candlelight flickered while she got stuck into her book. While Tommy laid down on his back, staring up at the ceiling. She didn't know how he could be so entertained whilst doing nothing but then again she didn't complain. As he wasn't trying to be all over her.

She held the golden locket in her hand, her mothers. She felt closer to her spirit when she did this and couldn't help but thinking whether or not her late mother was proud of her. It was silence for a long time, the only sound being the wind. Which made the tent move slightly, like it was alive or something.

Time passed by slowly and although they didn't know it the both of them had fallen asleep. They both looked peaceful when they slept, like they had forgotten all their trauma and worries. Sleep was kind to them, like so many things weren't.
~
Rose stirred in the early morning, the red sun only showing ever so slightly. The birds chirping peacefully. She didn't want to move from her comfy bed. She looked across the room to see Tommy fast asleep, lightly snoring. Rose tried not to chuckle at this. Although she missed home and John. There was something so freeing about being away from it all. Being out in the wild.

She studied Tommy from across the room and noticed how different he was. Ever since they had left Birmingham he had acted so different. Almost like he was before the war. The one whom she was friends with. She sighed, she knew that deep down that Tommy was gone.

She felt herself fall back asleep.

When she woke the sun was fully up now and Tommy was awake. He was staring at her, she looked at him in return. She took a breath.

'Good morning' said Tommy, in his morning voice. He looked quite happy. She looked down to see that he could slightly see one of her breasts, she instantly pulled the covers closer to her. She realised that somehow through the night she must have took her nightdress off.

'Good morning' she replied, doing her best to sound cheerful. They both couldn't stop looking at each other. Tommy was sat up in bed with the covers pulled just over his waist. Anyone could assume he was naked but Rose shook off the thought.

He was still slightly smiling. It made her quite happy to see him smile. Suddenly she felt an urge. Something strong. Something she had successfully fought off last night. She felt it take control of her. Suddenly Rose had forgotten about everything.

'Tommy' whispered Rose, she was looking at him with eyes full of lust. Tommy knew instantly that she was trying to lure him to her. His eyes changed to a look of adoration and deep affection. He was finally going to have his moment with her.

Ever so slightly she pulled the covers down, revealing the top of her breasts. Tommy slightly gasped. He couldn't stay in his bed for much longer. Rose hit reality for a second and realised what she was doing. She didn't want to stop but at the same time she felt guilty. She knew deep down this was wrong.

But you and John aren't even together yet... said a voice in her head. She felt the words turn into a whisper and then disappear entirely. Tommy climbed in her bed naked. He was looking at her intently. His eyes only showing softness and a burning love. Rose's eyes were showing so many different emotions. Almost hard to place.

He leaned in carefully and Rose leaned in instinctively. Kissing him passionately on the lips. He was taken a back by this as she had been fighting him so long.