Chapter 4: Through the fog

'You can't run forever!!' shouted the man, getting closer to her. Rose was running as fast as she could, almost as if her shoes were on fire. 'Leave me alone!!!' begged Rose, tears streaming down her face. 'Come back here!!!' shouted the man.

Rose started to lose energy and could feel herself slowing down. Taking deep breaths, she tried her best to keep on going but she was still slowing down.

'NOOO!!' screamed Rose. 'I've got you now...' chuckled the man.

His gloved hand getting closer and closer to her. It almost touched her arm...

'AHHH' screamed Rose, waking up and finding herself in the living room couch. Her hands still shaking from the fear. It always seemed so real. It took her a while to calm down this morning. She stood up and looked out the window to see thick fog surrounding the doc. She lit up a cigarette and noticed how quiet the apartment was. Her father certainly wasn't home. This time he hadn't even left a note either. She rolled her eyes and took a deep dreg.

She then realised that waking up in the living room wasn't a common thing for her to do. So she tried recalling what happened last night and it all came back to her. John had brought her home, she also remembered her getting all mushy with him. She winced at the thought. She still wasn't ready to tell John how she felt. Even if Ada was so certain the feeling was mutual. Finishing her cigarette she make herself some breakfast and got ready for the day.

She wore a deep emerald green dress today, not velvet but fine cloth. As she didn't want to stand out too much. (Although she already did anyway). And paired it with a matching hat and gloves. She took her favourite bag that was a bit old since it used to belong to her mother. Although it wasn't that popular it held great sentimental value. And she adored it. With a quick glance in the mirror she was ready to go. She placed the keys in her bag and set out for the mysterious day ahead.

The fog did make her feel uneasy but she didn't walk with too much haste as she couldn't see that much ahead of her. She made her way towards the centre of town and found herself in front of an old bookshop. It looked at least 100 years old and it looked full to the brim with books. Some relatively new and some very very old. Just as she put her head to the glass, trying to get a peak inside. The owner of the shop turned the closed sign around to announce the shop open.

Although she knew the area well she didn't have many memories of the shop. But she did suppose she was young and less bothered with reading then. She opened the shop door and the bell rang making the man look at her in awe. 'Good morning sir' greeted Rose, trying her best to be polite. 'Good morning Miss, may I help you?' asked the man, adjusting his glasses.

'I'm just having a look around if that's alright' said Rose. The man nodded and continued reading the morning paper. She looked all around the shop, taking in the smell of old books and strong coffee. It made her miss London and the smell of the strong coffee in the morning. After finding an old book, she went to the desk and paid for it. She thanked the owner and left swiftly, not wanting to hang around. As she was putting the book in her bag. She found herself face to face with none other than Tommy.

She huffed underneath her breath but faked a smile anyway. 'Thomas, what a foggy morning' said Rose, trying to be polite. 'It's not exactly what I was hoping for but then no one can control the weather' replied Tommy, lighting up a cigarette. He brushed off the fact that she called him Thomas as he knew she could have said a lot worse.

'Good day to you' said Rose, trying to get away from him but he caught her arm.

Rose gasped at the sudden contact. She looked at him with dangerous eyes.

'Don't touch me!' cried Rose, getting angry. Tommy put his hands up in surrender.

'I just want a chat' said Tommy, honestly.