Chapter 7: Realisation

It was drizzling outside, frost covered the windows of all the houses in Birmingham. The work men were already up and out ready for another day, yet others stayed snoozing in bed. It had been two days since Tommy's speech in the Garrison. Rose was happy but haunted. There was still so much to learn about everything. Her father had still be avoiding her, only making himself known with the odd note here and there, but apart from that he may as well be a ghost. 

Her and John seemed to be very good at the moment. Cuddling, spending time with each other and he would kiss her cheek when they were alone. He was being a gentleman and taking things slow. And even though things weren't perfect, they were better than before. 

Thomas. Now he had a strange way of looking at her from across the room. The occasional stare and small smile. He would be very warm to her. Kind even. But she worried about his intentions and what that would mean for John. He cared about his brother, sure. But when it came to something he wanted, not so much. Yet he had still kept his word. 

Rose ate her breakfast and contemplated a quote from a novel she was reading..

The eyes never lie. They speak when words cannot.

This morning she found herself, walking to the garrison as it was the only place that sold the London coffee she was so fond of. She opened the door to find Harry behind the bar, looking tired and yawning. 

'Long night?' asked Rose, causally. 

Harry smiled. 'Indeed, there really is no sleep for people who own a bar' said Harry. 

Rose took a seat in one of the comfy booths in the corner, it was a nice spot and she felt at home there. 'The usual?' asked Harry. Rose nodded and began reading her novel. Harry quickly brought over the wonderful smelling coffee. 'Thank you Harry' said Rose, about to get out her purse. 'Oh no, it's on the house' said Harry, warmly. 

'Are you sure?' asked Rose. 'Yes, don't be daft. Your a regular' said Harry.  

'Well that's very kind of you, thanks again' said Rose, sipping it. Harry nodded and returned a smile. 'If you don't mind me asking, what novel are you reading?' asked Harry.

'I don't mind, it's Dracula..' said Rose. 'Oh wow, interesting then' said Harry, not having the slightest clue what it was about. 

'It certainly makes for an interesting read, it's sometimes comforting. Then sometimes scary. It's about vampires' said Rose, slipping through the pages. 

'If I may, you sure are a unique woman Rose. And I mean that in the highest regard' said Harry. 

At first Rose smiled. 'Thank you' said Rose, not knowing how to take it. 

She took a deep sip out of the coffee mug when the door suddenly came open. The usual peaky man in charge, stood with a cigarette in his mouth. 'Rose, good morning' said Tommy, kindly.

'Good morning Tommy' replied Rose, still half reading her novel. 

'How did you sleep?' asked Tommy, gesturing to Harry to get him something. 

'Fine thanks, how about you?' asked Rose, kindly. Although she had mostly a peaceful night she still woke up to her usual nightmare. That part she didn't plan on telling him. 

'Good and I slept like a log' said Tommy, smirking. Rose chuckled, he was trying to make her laugh. 'I see you've got your morning coffee' said Tommy. 

'Yes it's nice to have a touch of my old home here' said Rose, happily. 

Tommy nodded, finishing his cigarette. 'I'm glad to see you comfortable' said Tommy, getting the glass that Harry had put ready for him on the counter. He downed whatever was in the glass.