Chapter 9: Gypsy blood

Tweeting away, the birds kept the thought of a song with them as they reached a beautiful stream. Tommy said they were in the right place and that soon she would meet her relatives.

The sun was setting now and although they had walked far, they both seemed in good spirits. Tommy gave Rose the last of his water and gently smiled at her. She thanked him and returned the smile. As she finished it, she put the bottle into her pocket.

A small cloud of mist covered the spring of water in front of them. Mushrooms grew on the left side and she noticed the wing of an owl a few paces ahead. She slowly dipped her hand in the stream and waited.

Slowly but surely, a tribe of Gypsy's emerged from the woods around them and the elder woman in charge walked straight up to her.

'Rose?' Asked the woman.
Rose only nodded in return, not knowing what to say yet.
The woman smiled and hugged her gently. Rose was taken a back at first but then melted into it.

'Who are you?' Asked Rose, gently.

The woman pulled away but kept smiling. 'I'm you're auntie. I was your mother's sister' said Zelda, her long hair plaited into lots of braids. 

'My name is Zelda' she said proudly. 

'It's wonderful to finally meet you' said Rose, happily. 

'Likewise, you have no idea how long I've waited' said Zelda, with small smile. 

'Zelda how did my mother die?' asked Rose, out of nowhere. 

'Wow getting into the deep stuff already, you really are your mother's daughter. Let's get you settled in first. Come, meet everyone' said Zelda, calmly. 

Rose nodded and walked beside her as Zelda introduced her to everyone. Thomas went off somewhere to get the horses comfortable. But kept an eye on her from a distance. 

After Rose had met everyone they went into Zelda's tent. She said she preferred a tent to a carriage as it made her feel more free. It was filled with candles, plants and beautiful magical items. She had a deep purple velvet couch in the middle that could fit at least eight people. The two of them made themselves comfortable and no one else entered. So Rose knew it was just going to be them. 

Zelda started pouring some tea and smiled at her. 'You may ask me what you like now. I know you have many questions' said Zelda. 

That's when Rose noticed something familiar. 'How do you know the Shelby's?' asked Rose. 

Zelda smiled, you could tell it brought her a lot of happy memories. 

'Me, your mother, Polly and Thomas's mother were all close growing up. They were in separate camps from us but we became good friends when we were children. We've kept in touch since' said Zelda. 

'Does Polly know that I'm here?' asked Rose, holding the warm cup of tea in her hands. 

'She does' said Zelda, slightly nodding. 

'Aunt Zelda, please tell me how my mother died..' begged Rose, just wanting the truth.

Zelda looked down, sadness filling her being. Her eyes becoming watery.

'Your mother was such a beautiful being, so fearless. She loved your father more than anything. And you. She wish she could have stayed with you longer..' said Zelda. 

Rose looked at her eagerly to continue. 

'You were very young when a bit of a dangerous job came up for your father. This one in particular would have set you all up for life. Your mother begged him not to go, saying that something terrible would happen. He didn't listen to her and went and did it anyway. When he came home, everyone was fine but your mother was furious with him' said Zelda.