Chapter 5: Glitz and glammer

'Right what so important that couldn't wait Thomas' said Polly, strongly. Tommy looked at her deep in thought for a moment. Today he did something he probably hasn't done in years. Let someone in. Let someone see that there's more than a cold hearted gangster. That maybe there was a man with feeling. He sat down and lit up a cigarette. 

'Bloody hell Thomas, your scaring me now' said Polly. 

'Don't worry Pol, I just came in here to ask what were John and Arthur on about before I got here?' asked Tommy, waiting for her answer. 

Pol huffed and laughed. 'Is that all?' asked Polly. He nodded, not seeing how it was funny. 

'Sorry I don't get involved with things like this. You and John need to have a face to face and sort things out. Before it starts effecting the business' said Polly. 

'He won't even look at me Pol' said Tommy, huffing. 

'And why do you think that is?' asked Polly, crossing her legs. 

'I don't know' lied Tommy. Polly smiled and laughed a little. 

'You need to face the truth Thomas. We both know why John's not talking to you and that's because your trying to get to his girl' said Polly, strongly.

Tommy closed his eyes, he knew this was coming. But deep down I think he just needed someone to notice the truth. 

'The question is why? Why now, after all this time?' asked Polly. 

Tommy stayed quiet. Not being able to answer. 

'Well you have a good think about that but until you do, I've got work to do' said Polly, leaving the room. 

Tommy took a deep dreg of the cigarette. And couldn't move from the chair he was in.

~

Since the meeting she had with Tommy, Rose felt different. She felt a lot more comfortable now, like she could finally settle in. Maybe the little chat was all she needed. It had since then started raining and she had found a nice spot by the docks, to read her new novel. The novel was quite good and very detailed and it took her mind off her feelings for John. Soon hours passed and she decided it would be best to go home. 

It wasn't long until she reached the stairs to get up to her apartment. Once she unlocked the door, she was shocked to find her father on the couch with cuts all over his face. She had also noticed he changed his hair and smelt a lot more of cigarettes than he usually did. 

'Oh my gosh, father! What happened?' asked Rose, coming to his side quickly. 

'Oh Rose, please don't worry. I was clumsy and fell down some stairs coming home from the office. And it seems I've scratched my face' said George, slightly out of breath. 

Although Rose didn't believe his story, she decided not to question it and to tend to his wounds like a good daughter would. As the one thing she respected about him was his tendency to stay out of her business. He never questioned where she had been and she liked that. So she would let this little white lie pass, at least for now. 

Once the wounds were taken care of, George looked exhausted and went straight to bed. Rose decided to cook herself some supper as she was really hungry. She was making one of her favourites and that's when she remembered a fond memory of London...

'Smile Rose, the war's over! And we are going to The Pier to celebrate' said George, smiling greatly. The Pier was one of the most poshest places in all of London, they played splendid music and only allowed the best people. Because of George's work they were lucky enough to get in. Rose wore her best dress that stood out the most and she also wore her mothers pearl necklace proudly. The place was huge, filled to the brim with people. All smiling and laughing now the terrible war was over. She adored this place and all the glitz and glammer. Oh how much she missed this. A handsome gentleman asked her to dance and she didn't refuse. He had just come back from war, seeming mostly himself but also a little spacey.