Chapter 5

Today's the day Drake's gonna be back and I'm scared shitless. I told Ryder yesterday and it slightly creeped me out how he wasn't even bothered by it. Not even the slightest bit. No questions asked. Just a simple 'okay'. Nope, not weird at all.

But just to fill everyone in, I'll give you a recap. Here's what happened:

"But Ryder, you don't seem to get it. My brother wants to meet you," I told him, stressing out the 'brother' bit.

"Yeah and I'm perfectly fine with that," he said nonchalantly as he plucked a grape off its branch.

It was lunch time and we were sitting at the school's backyard after getting some fruits from the cafeteria. I told him I needed to tell him something and dragged him out here. We were sitting under the big oak tree. Ryder was leaning his back on the tree's trunk and I sat beside him, trying to gauge any reaction that I would find familiar to the usual reactions I have had to deal with when I told people my brother wanted to meet them.

I mean, I don't mind him not being afraid of my brother and all because frankly, it gives me hope that he'll still want to be my friend after this and as much I hated admitting it, I loved hanging out with this grade A jerk, he's nice. He's a nice jerk. But as much as I liked the chill vibe he was giving off and as much as I fancied the idea that he was actually willing to meet my scary ass big brother, I just felt like he was in dire need of a massive heads up on how my brother tends to be a bit.. overwhelming.

"Are you sure you're okay with this? I mean I can just tell him you have an important family gathering or something. You really don't need to do this. I'm not pressuring you or anything. You can just back out anytime you'd like." I told him as I listed off the reasons I have in store to cover up for him against my brother.

"Luce, hey. Take a chill pill, would you? Why are you so peeved about your brother meeting me? Are you embarrassed that I'm your friend or something? I'd love to meet your brother. It would shed some light on your background and it helps me get to know you easier." He shrugged and I sighed, knowing I was just stalling.

"I know, I'm just scared Drake will scare you off and you won't be friends with me like those other guys I was friends with once." My head drooped in defeat, finally admitting the fear that's been bothering me.

Ryder being Ryder, tried lightening up the gloomy mood with his humor. "You sure it wasn't your freakily high IQ?" He joked and I laughed with him, punching his arm lightly.

"You don't need to worry, Luce. I'm not like those other people, I'm still gonna be here for you. It'll take more than some big bad brother to scare me off," He boasted jokingly, puffing out his chest and I laughed at the comical sight.

"Don't you ever - try to be cocky," I wheezed between laughter and he smiled, throwing an arm across my shoulder, pulling me to his side. My laughter died at the back of my throat and my cheeks heated up as butterflies erupted in my stomach and I can't help the grin that threatened to make itself known.

Is this..

Is this a friend thing?

Is this a friendly thing that friends do to each other?

I couldn't be sure of the answer to those questions. Drake has managed to scare off every guy who would so much as try to get closer to me so far. And so, I had no idea if this was still just a 'friendly' move or something more.

"No, don't get ahead of yourself, here, Luce. He's just a friend. The 'butterflies' you're feeling in your stomach is you being hungry." I told myself silently in my mind, trying to convince myself that whatever was happening here was nothing worth making a big deal about.