Chapter 8

Keep running. Keep running. Keep running. Dory's voice echoed in my head in that sing-song tone.

That and the sound of rushing blood was all I could hear as I ran for dear life through the school corridors with an enraged chimp behind me.

"Well isn't this ironic." I thought to myself as I felt a sense of deja vu coming to me. My mind highlighted the similarity of my current situation to that time when I was thirteen and Drake brought me to that new circus in town where it turns out that the chimp thought I had killed its kin and started attacking me by almost tearing my leg in two.

I had the same exact amount of fear, or maybe even more, coursing through my veins at this very instance. My heart hammered against my chest at an alarming rate and I was beginning to feel lightheaded. I felt like I was going to piss my pants if Gina didn't stop chasing me down the halls soon.

"I'm sorry! It was an accident!" I finally cried out in panic, unable to hold it in anymore as Gina started closing the distance between us. I was ready to shout anything over my shoulder as long as it gets Gina off my heels. Curse my physical state. If only I had listened to Tia more whenever she lectured me about doing some exercises.

I made my biggest mistake by looking back at Gina. I saw her glower at me before her hand shot out towards me and grabbed a handful of my hair. Once she got a good grip, she yanked my hair back so suddenly that it caused me to stumble backwards, forcing me to a stop.

As she brought her other hand down to slap me. I brought my own arms up to shield my face and squeezed my eyes shut, just waiting for the final impact but it never came. When I felt the absence of the strain on my scalp from getting my hair pulled, I cracked open an eye to peek through it and I felt the huge weight on my chest vanish. The death grip that the panic and fear I felt had made my chest constrict painfully as I tried running away from Gina and it had finally let me go when I saw that I was saved.

I was relieved and yet confused to find Ryder pushing Gina roughly away from me and shielding me from her.

"Move away, Park. It's between me and the bitch." Gina snarled ferociously and I shrank back. Shit she's bloody scary when she's angry. Why the hell did that ball have to be such a dick and hit her of all people?!

"Leave her alone, Gina. Walk away and you won't need to break any of those perfectly manicured nails you just got done last week. I'm sure you don't want to break any of them, do you now?" Ryder inquired calmly and lightly that I had to throw him a bewildered look. Was he seriously talking about her manicured nails now of all times?

"I will if I have to," she bit back, still keeping her glare on me.

"Now, MOVE!" She growled loudly when suddenly, Tia appeared out of nowhere and sprang at a stunned Gina.

"Come on, she'll be fine," Ryder muttered to me before helping me walk away from the two girls going at each other's throat. I glanced over my shoulder at the two girls, not sure who I should be more worried about.

We walked to the parking lot and I kept quiet, too shocked to make a sound. When I did find my voice, we were already pulling out of school grounds.

"Wait, where are we going?" I said in a panicked voice while gripping the edge of my seat.

"Calm down, Princess. I'm just driving you back to your house since school is almost over anyway and you're not exactly safe if you stay there with an ape in the loose." I giggled at his description of an enraged Gina.

On the way, we joked about several things and I felt myself staring at him as the car came to a halt in front of a red light. His hair was sticking up in all directions but I guess he was one of those guys who could pull it off with just a smirk. Lucky shit.