A/N

Okay so, I just wanted to randomly notify you guys that I'll be editing this story slowly because in my rush of writing it, I left out some plots I wanted to write in and so.. Yeah.

And a note to go along with it, I'm feeling wise right now so this is gonna be a rant. If you wanna skip it, go ahead. But if you're feeling extremely random and in need of some wise shit from some stranger than scroll down.

So, yesterday turns out to be my driver's birthday. I was attending my aunt's engagement party and my other aunt was sitting next to me when she showed me a facebook notification on my driver's birthday.

In my country, we actually have personal drivers. Mine has been working for my family and I since about 9 years now. I haven't said any wishes for him for the past 9 years that he worked for me because I didn't know and when I asked him about it he'll dodge the question and all that.

So I was like 'Okay, let's give him a surprise phone call to wish him a happy birthday' and so we did. Me, my aunt and my sis neared closed in on the phone which was on speaker as I called him, this is how it went:

'Pak (it's like saying sir in my country), there's a phone call! -mysterious female voice over the phone (MFVCTP)

Who is it from? -My driver

Michelle! (That's me) - MDVCTP

*my driver panicking* (I think he thought I was going to ask him go do some errand or pick me up from the city I was in, which was 3 hours from where he was then).

Driver: hello?

Me: pak?

Driver: yea, yel? (that's my nickname)

*Me, my aunt and sister randomly starts singing happy birthday*

While the singing continues, you can hear some incoherent noises like small laughs and his voice breaking, trying to form a decent sentence.

When the call ended, he thanked us (after a long while of trying to form a sentence) and not long after, he direct messaged me something that got me taking a step back in my life and question myself.

Turns out that all these years (he's 49 now), no one, not his wife, not his kids, not his grandkids; has ever wished him a happy birthday or even remembered it was his birthday, not even himself. He went on saying that it was the first time anyone have ever remembered his birthday.

I mean, do you know how sad it is that no one has ever remembered your birthday? I mean I experienced a year or to with people forgetting mine but in the end of the day, I have my family and family friends to wish me happy birthday and my friends would eventually remember a day or two after but to not be noticed at all? That's just depressing.

Because of all of this, he thinks that he's forgotten and not worth the time just because he doesn't have that much money, or because he doesn't have the looks.

I was, to say the least, disappointed, dismayed and just basically really sad. He doesn't realize that in these 9 years that he have worked for my family and I, helping us deliver things, run our errands, heck, the guy taught me how to drive.

Another thing, my dad is rarely home due to his work and all that but my driver has never failed to remind me that no matter what, my dad loves me and that a father's love is always there even if he's not there physically 24/7.

He told me about how much he's struggling with his son's school needs, fees and his daughter's life with her husband. He would tell me his troubles but I was just a kid then, I didn't have anything to help him, I wasn't wise enough to console him, my allowance was barely covering my own needs to eat and it couldn't have done anything to help him but despite all the odds, I spared what was left in my daily allowance and gave him a minimum of a cent every day. God knows what he did with it but never once did he ever complain. He took it, thanked me and never asked for more.

God knows how much I wanted to help him more than just giving him cents or basically a really small amount of money that can't even by you snickers. I mean, SNICKERS. Bloody snickers. That was how much I can give him without starving myself.

He doesn't realize how important he is to my family and I. He's basically family to us.

He is probably the only driver that got to go on a cruise for 5 days and 4 nights, traveling to 3 different countries at once and drank starbucks (it's considered really expensive in my country). His friends doesn't believe him and we saved up a whole album of pictures consisting of his pictures during the one week trip to prove that he did go abroad without touching the steering wheel at all. (Literally. He went to touch a motorcycle to pose in a picture and I literally yank his arms back before he can touch it.)

Basically my point is, he's important and is a big impact on my life and he doesn't know it and thinks his worthless because no one remembered his birthday and the fact that he's job is to drive three kids to and fro school and deliver packages for my parents offers very little money, barely enough to cover his family's needs.

There are several points in this:

1) Always be grateful to the one above.

2) No one is worthless, each of us has something to do in this life. Even as a mere driver, you're not a nobody, you're a somebody. Every day, you're helping someone and doing something productive and good. (Unless you're lazy af and won't even get out of bed)

3) A simple Happy Birthday meant a lot to someone. A happy birthday are just words but he was in the verge of crying within seconds. Imagine what can happen, how happy someone can be if you went out of your way just to give them something without any reason.

Like your gardener, perhaps. Give him a chocolate bar you buy in a nearby convenient store. It wouldn't cost you much. Just as small as a chocolate bar.

And lastly, appreciate what you have. Sometimes, someone got it worst than you. I know how the saying goes 'look up and dream that you can be like them' but sometimes you gotta look down and appreciate that you didn't need to go through all that too.

That's basically it. I hope you guys got something out of all that even though I know not all of you (maybe none at all) read this til the end because you discovered halfway that it's a lousy ass shit but I just wanted to say that I hope, for those who at least spent their time reading this, you guys can get something out of it and learn a few things, apply it to your life and all that. I hope this author's note will be able to make a difference and help you out through problems.

God bless you all.

I love you all -J 💕