Unseen hearts | JWY x KHJ

⚠️This story contains themes of depression (it's only briefly mentioned but still present). I have also written it in a way that allows for various interpretations. But one character will not be part of the story anymore, it's your interpretation ⚠️

Song recommendation: one more light by LINKIN PARK

In a high school, eight friends, Hongjoong, Seonghwa, Yunho, Yeosang, Mingi, San, Wooyoung, and Jongho, formed an inseparable group. They are friends since primary school. Wooyoung and Hongjoong had a bond like no other, their friendship rooted in years of shared experiences. However, what the others didn't know was that Wooyoung was already in love with Hongjoong from the beginning.

As they navigated their way through 10th year, the group found themselves in different classes, though they always met up during lunch at their table. Their personalities made them a popular bunch, but they remained grounded and kind, spreading their warmth to everyone around them.

One school day, during lunch, Wooyoung noticed something off about Hongjoong. His usually vibrant smile seemed a forced, and there was a hint of sadness in his eyes. Concerned, Wooyoung gently tapped Hongjoong on his shoulder an asked: "Joong, are you okay?"

Hongjoong forced a smile and replied, "Yeah, I'm just a bit stressed about school stuff. Don't worry, it'll pass."

Wooyoung's heart ached seeing Joong in pain, knowing that he loved him deeply but unable to find the right words to express it. He respected his privacy, believing that if Hongjoong wanted to talk, he would eventually. Little did he know the extent of Hongjoong's struggles - the weight of school responsibilities, family issues, growing depression and his unspoken love for Wooyoung.

Weeks passed, and Hongjoong's condition worsened. He became quieter, withdrawing from the group, causing concern among his friends. They tried talking to him, but Hongjoong deflected their worries with vague responses, leaving them feeling helpless.

One day, Hongjoong was absent from school, and as the days went by without any word or text from him, which is unusual for him, which made Wooyoung feeling more worried each day. He decided to visit Hongjoong's home, hoping to get answers. When he arrived, Hongjoong's parents greeted him with sad and exhausted expressions- as if they cried for days.

Even before Wooyoung could say a word, he heard someone. "Wooyoung, Joong isn't here. We don't know where he went," Hongjoong's dad said, his voice tinged with worry and shaking.

Wooyoung's heart sank, and he asked, "Can I see his room? Maybe there's a clue to where he might be."

The adults looked at each other and hesitated as first but after a moment, Hongjoong's mother nodded and led Wooyoung to his room. As he stepped inside, memories of their laughter and shared moments flooded his mind. But then he noticed a letter on the desk, addressed to him. It was from Hongjoong, pouring out his feelings, including the love he had for Wooyoung, that everything was just to much, and he couldn't do this anymore. He felt like an lonely flickering light and who would care if he just left.

Tears welled up in Wooyoung's eyes as he read the letter. He was overwhelmed with emotions - sadness for Hongjoong's pain, regret for not realizing sooner, and love, knowing that Hongjoong felt the same way. But what struck him the most was that the letter had been in Hongjoong's room all along, and yet, his parents hadn't given it to him.

Wooyoung felt a mix of emotions, including sadness and anger, but he also understood that his parents were likely grappling with their own pain of losing a child. He couldn't bring himself to be too mad at them, but the knowledge that they had kept this letter from him weighed heavily on his heart.

Three years later:

Three years passed, and Hongjoong's absence was still felt by the group. Wooyoung struggled to cope, and people's insensitive comments only added to his pain. Yet, his friends stood by him, encouraging him to find strength in their bond.

One evening, unable to bear all of his emotions any longer, Wooyoung called his best friend Yeosang. Yeosang and his boyfriend, Jongho, immediately rushed to his side. Wooyoung broke down in their arms, pouring out his heart and revealing the pain he had been carrying for years.

"He was more than just a light to me," Wooyoung said, his voice quivering. "He was my best friend, and I loved him."

Yeosang and Jongho held him close, offering comfort and just let him cry. They assured him that it was okay to grieve and that they were there for him.

As time went on, Wooyoung began to heal, though the void left by Hongjoong would always be there. He embraced life with a newfound appreciation for the friendships he had and treasured the memories of Hongjoong.

Together, the group journeyed through college, supporting each other every step of the way. Though Joong was no longer physically with them, his presence remained in their hearts. And in those moments when Wooyoung felt overwhelmed, his friends reminded him that they were there to share the burden, just as they had always done.

The end

AUTHORS NOTE:

First, thank you so much for reading! This story is deeply personal and based on a real-life event. If you haven't noticed already, it was inspired by the recommended song "One More Light" by LINKIN PARK, and I did my best to incorporate it as much as possible.

Additionally, if you are going through tough times, please consider seeking help. There are various hotlines you can call, no matter where you are. For my fellow Germans, there is a website called "kummerkasten-chat." Remember, there are many resources available. I have also added a pictures with hotlines from all over the world :)

 I have also added a pictures with hotlines from all over the world :)

Last but not least an meme: