17- Testing Teasing

WILL POV-

---- 9:43 PM ----

As the car continued down the path, the golden hour ceased to exist; the sun setting behind the horizon. The ravenette continued to engage Will in conversation, asking various questions. The brunette decided to answer, albeit carefully, withholding certain details he believed may be used against him later.

Mike seemed genuinely curious, and Will couldn't help but notice the complexity of emotions swirling in the criminal's eyes. He chose his words wisely, giving enough information to maintain the illusion of cooperation while safeguarding crucial personal details.

Through the conversation, the small boy maintained a semblance of anonymity as he tried to continue his plan of making himself humanised in Mike's eyes rather than just a puppet on a string; hopefully by keeping some things secret, he would be able to protect his father and his non-existent friends; it wasn't as though he was giving any names or the exact location.

He knew the ravenette could use this information to exploit him, so Will remained cautious; wary of sharing too much, knowing that despite being apologised to, Mike was still holding him against his will; even if it was an accidental kidnapping. Still, the small boy tried to maintain a sense of composure, hoping that his guarded responses might eventually lead to Mike's humanity.

The night wore on and the car headed toward its final destination, the headlights peaked like the sun in the darkness, illuminating the road before them; as they continued, Will shuffled in his seat noticing the subtle shift in Mike's demeanour. Perhaps, the ravenette was really filled with remorse, although he wouldn't easily believe Mike's apology so easily.

The uncertainty of Mike's changing emotions lurked in the back of his mind, but Will realised the importance of playing along for now. Wanting to find a way to connect with the taller boy and make him seem like more than just a hostage; maybe he could have the ravenette think they are 'friends', though he knew he had to tread lightly in order to protect himself.

Although the tall boy's demeanour seemed to shift slightly amidst the tension and uncertainty, it remained awkward as he started to tease the small boy; perhaps in a way to release some tension or assert some level of control.

"You know," Mike began, "for a guy who got himself kidnapped, you're surprisingly feisty!"

"So, are you saying I should just roll over and take it?" Will quipped

"No... I like my hostages to have a bit of fight in them; it's fun that way." The ravenette replied as though he had been doing this regularly.

The small boy shuddered at the words, not exactly knowing what he meant by 'fun', but decided to return the conversation, "Oh, I'm glad I'm the perfect victim!"

"Most people would be crying and begging for mercy by now!" Mike explained

"What?" the brunette scrunched his face, "You expected me to get on my hands and knees and beg you?"

"See that's more like it! Sarcasm suits you." The tall boy replied, "Though I wouldn't be opposed to hearing you beg once in a while." he added, not realising the double meaning.

"Great, at least you get your ideal kidnapping fantasy." Will waved his free arm around.

"Oh, I know! But I must say you're not as boring as I thought you'd be." Mike quickly glanced at Will before turning his eyes to the road once again.