30- Shell Without the 'S'

MIKE POV-

---- A few minutes earlier; 5:13 PM ----

"I'll let you step outside," the tall boy's voice was stern, his eyes locked with a sudden shift in his personality from earlier; the bashful Mike replaced by the criminal one. "But I don't want you talking to anyone, alright? Don't do anything stupid. This isn't a game, and I won't hesitate to take action if anything goes wrong."

The ravenette saw Will furrow his brows, but loving the way the brunette shook his head; submissively nodding, "I got it! Stay close and stay quiet!" he saluted awkwardly not knowing what else to do.

Mike rolled his eyes, holding back a laugh to not give the small boy the satisfaction. He knew what he was doing; playing mind tricks with the brunette and making the small boy believe he is in the wrong whenever the ravenette doesn't get his way. It's good to have that sort of thinking engraved into Will's mind as it would be helpful making him listen without protest.

He also used this as a test to see how well the small boy would obey him; by letting him out the car, Mike knew whether Will would try to run or not. He was keeping a close eye on him, so even if he did run... he wouldn't get far.

Mike opened the driver's side door, stepping out as Will followed suit, copying his movement slowly. With a bright smile on his face, he analysed the brunette with an iron-will; making note of his movements. He slow and precise, taking a deep breath as he casted one last warning glance to the small boy before entering the gas station store, the scent of cooking meat filling him; smelling like the inside of a box with bad ventilation; it was hot in Nevada, really hot!

Scanning the aisles of the store, he saw his buddy Eddie inside waiting for him. Eddie Munson was a fellow member of the criminal network along with Mike; oddly enough, they met before the ravenette ever decided to commit crime for money; they met in school. More specifically the school's D&D club. Eddie was a few years older but created a deep sense of trust and familiarity in a few short months with their loyalty to one another unwavering.

Mike approached the longhaired boy discreetly, keeping his voice low, "Eddie, I need to talk to you!"

The long-haired boy glanced with a raised eyebrow and crossed arms, "Why today out of all days? I'm supposed to be meeting my boyfriend! What's so urgent to meet at this gas station in bum-fuck nowhere?"

"You see that boy outside?" the ravenette pointed out the store to the brunette who was now pacing back and forth without a care in the world. At least Mike knew he could control the small boy and have him listen to what he says even when he isn't around.

"The one with the bowlcut?" Eddie's voice remained annoyed, "What do you want me to kill him or something? Cause you could have done that yourself... but if you pay me then I gue-"

Mike panicked, realising the choice of words was poor, quickly clarifying, "No, no, no! Not kill! Just threaten him; like put a knife to his throat; say shit to him and scare him for a while."

"Okay! Quick question..." Eddie furrowed his brows, playing with his obnoxiously long hair, "Why?" he spat

Mike's gaze never left Will as they spoke, his words a mix of frustration, determination and a hint of something darker, "Listen, this is my plan. A way to make him be dependent on me and make him think I'm the only good thing in his life."