Chapter 5: The Sacred Grove

After the unsettling conversation about Callum's family and their dark secrets, Rowan deemed it time for something lighter. He left the room briefly and summoned Rose, a fellow druid-in-training, to guide Callum.

Rose was unlike anyone Callum had ever met. Her long red braids, cascading down her back and nearly hitting the ground, were a vivid contrast to her ebony skin. She carried a serene yet energizing aura. Her eyes were wise and knowing despite being close to the same age as Callum.

"Callum, this young lady is Rose," Rowan introduced, his voice soft. "In addition to rocking the best drip in the Sacred Grove, she's also a good tour guide."

Callum nodded, unable to take his eyes off the mesmerizing landscape behind Rose as they stepped outside of the office, but no matter how beautiful it was, he couldn't shake the thoughts Rowan left him with only moments prior.

Rose smiled softly, her eyes twinkling with curiosity. "Come on, let's take a closer look," she said, gesturing for him to follow.

They walked together, the crunch of leaves beneath their feet, the sounds of the forest surrounding them. Birds chirped in the distance, and a gentle breeze rustled the leaves, filling the air with the sweet scent of blooming flowers.

"Does Rowan always try to talk like he's not like... 50 years old," Callum breathed, looking around with wide eyes.

"Lord Rowan," Rose corrected. "He's an Archdruid. And yes, he tries his best to talk like a trendy teen so he can 'get on our level,' but I just ignore it," she added while making air quotes with her fingers.

"Got it... Lord Rowan," Callum repeated. He knew he'd have to be careful about slipping up in the future.

"Would you believe me if I said you are the first person I've met from the outside?" Rose asked before stopping in her tracks.

Callum shook his head. "Really? Like... you spend all your time here? No field trips?"

"Pretty much," Rose replied with a nod. "Most of us come from long druid family lineages. When we're born, we're all sent here and raised here. It's been like that for generations."

Callum's eyes were wide with surprise. "That sucks... I mean, this place is cool... but... why?"

"For our protection, for our training, and to keep us from accidentally revealing our true nature to the world," she explained.

"I guess that makes sense," Callum said with a shrug. "The outside world has some good... and plenty of bad. I was mugged by a junkie not too long ago."

"What?!

Callum laughed. "I didn't get hurt... I made a tree trip him up and scared him off. We don't have to worry about our secret being let out or anything like that though. There's no evidence... and no one will believe him anyway."

"That's crazy," she said while shaking her head in disbelief. "Glad you made it out okay. And I'm glad to hear you can use a little magic. You weren't raised here so... you're going to be very behind the rest of us."

Realizing he would have to work harder to catch up to the rest of his cohort, Callum began wondering what he could do to get on their level. "So... are there druid magic classes or something?"

"Yes and no," she replied. "The trainers help us master the basics... flora manipulation... fauna communication... healing... and manipulating one of the elements. They give us individualized lessons, but saplings can always train together if we want. Every druid has different strengths and affinities... so it's only natural that our education and training is unique to each of us. Sometimes there are group lessons though if the trainers think it's necessary."