Chapter 11: The Ceremony

Callum didn't have long to reflect on seeing his mother's urn and escaping death.

The next day, Rowan gave Callum a laundry list of tasks to complete in preparation for the upcoming initiation ceremony. Upon reading the list, he imagined the ceremony as druidic equivalent to a high school graduation ceremony, which he would miss out on. But instead of a cap and gown, he would wear a cloak and a headdress. It was yet another reminder of how different the Sacred Grove and the Order were from the world he came from.

Callum's first task was to acquire the cloak. He ventured to the cabin of an old druid lady who took his measurements before sending him away so she could work her magic. When he returned days later, he was given a sleek gray cloak with a hood and a couple of interior pockets for storing things. When he put it on, it shrouded his body all the way down to his toes. It could keep him warm on a cold winter day. And for hot days, he figured he could dress lightly underneath. The cloak had enough fabric to keep his clothes hidden underneath it.

Upon closer inspection, Callum realized it was made of wool, which reminded him of the first animal he tried to heal and the first animal he was able to bond with - the sheep. The ashy gray color reminded him of the destructive aftermath of his elemental affinity - fire.

The next task required Callum to employ creativity and symbolism. Callum needed to make his own intricate headdress from natural materials. Luckily, Rose came by to offer some inspiration. Her headdress started with some strong sticks to form the base which she grew on her own and shaped into a circle with her magic. Next, she decorated it with layers of owl feathers, with the darker feathers toward the bottom and the lighter ones at the top to make a perfect gradient from dark brown to snowy owl white. To finish it all up, she made the centerpiece, which will sit on her head and above her face, a massive red rose flanked by white water lilies.

The symbolism of the rose was obvious to Callum since it was her namesake. The owl feathers were likely due to the shared connection she and her father have with the hooting birds. And the water lilies likely represented her elemental affinity for water. The concept began to make sense to Callum, and he quickly built the confidence to build a headdress of his own.

Callum followed Rose's example by growing sticks to form a flexible but firm base for the headdress. Using his magic to manipulate the structure, he shaped the sticks into a circle to fit upon his head.

Wanting to include his names in the design, Callum included a spiky, hostile layer of thorny vines. He also decided to place a couple of gray dove feathers dangling from the sides to match the color of his cloak and because his name was associated with doves.

To give his headdress a pop of color, he lined the front of it with fire poppies, a special flower which tended to pop up after wildfires.

As an attention grabber, Callum carefully attached deer antlers he found in a pile of extra supplies provided to the saplings. Hunters would call them 8-pointers, four points on each antler. The antlers made him stand out, just like his green fire, and deer were known to be alert and prolific. Perhaps it would show Lady Stella he was ready to dive headfirst into any challenge she presented.

Once his headdress was complete, he left it in his cabin before tending to the next task. In order to become a druid, Callum needed to master his conduit and evolve it into its ultimate form. While Callum had already made some changes to his conduit thanks to Lord Rowan's intervention with the pyritium, Callum knew his conduit could still grow and develop.

After a few days of meditation and focusing his essence into his conduit, the staff flourished into a beautiful masterpiece. It was like a work of art, something Callum normally wouldn't want to get dirty. Around the pyritium crystal at the top of the staff, white magnolia petals blossomed and enveloped it. Callum thought the crystal fit in perfectly at the center of the petals because it resembled the stamens and carpels of an actual magnolia flower.