Chapter 17: The First Full Moon

Callum had a general idea of how important the full moon was to werewolves thanks to the pack giving him a rundown. Some of the things he knew already, like how the light of the full moon caused them to shift into their wolf forms against their will. And other things were new to him, like how there were personality changes in the hours leading up to the full moon - impulsiveness, aggression, heightened emotions, and loosened inhibitions. He also learned that werewolves could resist the moon's influence if they wanted. It took immense willpower and focus. So if they were in a less than ideal setting, like being around unsuspecting humans, they could avoid exposing themselves. However, it wasn't healthy. Frequently suppressing their inner wolves during the full moon could lead to emotional instability and depression.

Therefore, Bella mandated that during every full moon, the pack should shift to their wolf forms and run through the woods. Bella spoke about embracing the inner wolf and treating it kindly. It was equally as important as the human half of their souls. Neglecting it was self-hatred and practically a crime against their true nature.

Callum's job was simple. He was to take a ceremonial position similar to what the druid did before the pack was nearly destroyed. Bella explained to him the specifics of his role during the full moon as best as she could remember.

The old druid blessed them by, according to Bella, mentioning "something about becoming one with the territory and becoming one as a pack." Callum figured he could conjure up an inspiring speech and invoke some symbolism. But out of curiosity, Callum also turned to Beau to see what he could remember.

Unfortunately, Beau mentioned he couldn't remember much. He was much younger than Bella. He couldn't even remember what the druid looked like. However, he did remember one specific quote from the old druid, one his father frequently repeated.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."

Callum asked Beau if he knew what it meant. Beau shrugged. Callum wondered if it had to do with maintaining control and not letting the animal instincts take over. Perhaps it was another reminder for the werewolves to find balance and to maintain a mindset of equality between the wolf and human halves of their souls.

While it wasn't much, Callum believed he had enough information to improvise. So, while the werewolves lounged before their big night, Callum donned his ceremonial druid gear - the gray cloak, his custom headdress, and his conduit staff.

In his camper, in front of a mirror, Callum inspected himself. The last time he wore it, he had little concern with how he looked, specifically with how attractive he looked. But now, he was worried he would look silly, or worse, ugly. The cloak didn't give a flattering figure at certain angles. Maybe the headdress was a bit extra. Would Beau like it?

Just as the thought about Beau crossed his mind, Callum heard a knock at the door of his camper. He took off his headdress before walking over and opening it.

"Hey Beau," Callum greeted the werewolf who had an eyebrow raised curiously.

"What are you wearing?" Beau asked as he stepped inside the camper and sat on Callum's couch.

"It's my ceremonial cloak... and that's my headdress... druid things..." he explained, feigning a cool, casual demeanor. "I think I'll wear it for the full moon tonight... make things official."

"Hmm..." Beau said with his eyes locked onto Callum.

"And... what will you wear?" he asked a bit nervously.

Beau shrugged. "Nothing," he admitted. "Clothes get in the way when we shift."

Beau's matter-of-fact comment sent a flush across Callum's face, and for a moment, the druid was thankful for the dim lighting in the camper. Beau, ever the observant one, caught the flicker of embarrassment but chose not to comment on it. Instead, he moved the conversation forward.