Chapter Nine

"How will you go to Dulland?" I asked, looking at Alice, who was busy packing her belongings

I'd just returned from Lord Black's room, my thighs still moist and my whole body hot, only to find out that Alice was getting ready to leave our city, Nova. She would head back to her birth town, which was a few hours' drive from Lord Black's estate.

Dulland wasn't only Alice's birth town, but also mine. Twenty-eight years ago, I was born in a shed between the pigs because my mother knew nothing about labor until it was time to push. After only three pushes, I fell in the hay. My birth had been the easiest in town.

"Gregory will take me by carriage," she answered, working hastily, throwing everything in her suitcase.

Her clothes would surely wrinkle, but I guessed that didn't matter because there was no Mrs. Jane pestering her where she was going.

"That's nice of him."

"It is." She pointed at a stack of clothes that lay on her bed. "Can you please hand me those?"

I did as she asked. "Will you write me a letter as soon as you can?"

"I will." She threw the entire stack on top and slammed the suitcase shut. She held her hand on top of the lid and stood motionless for a few seconds, until a sob escaped her mouth. "Oh, Flora," she whimpered before burying her face in her hands and bursting into tears.

"Come here." I pulled her in and held her in my arms.

A letter had come today, which that stupid wench Kitty had accepted at the door but then forgot to mention it until it was already evening.

Alice's father was very ill and she had to come back home at once, for they didn't know what would happen to him. He could get better or he could lose the battle.

We could only hope she wouldn't arrive in town too late. She would never forgive Kitty for her foolishness if that happened.

"Cry now," I softly said, rubbing her back. "Because when you're home, you need to be strong. For your father, for your younger siblings, but especially for your mother."

"Y-yes," she whispered with a hitching breath. "Mother must be so worried."

I didn't say those words because she had to bury her feelings. I said them because I knew her and I knew she wanted me to say them. She needed to hear them.

She cried until Gregory came to inform her the carriage was waiting. He carried the suitcase for her as we went outside.

"I'll miss you," she said when we stood on the porch, watching Gregory load the suitcase into the back of the carriage. They would go with a small vehicle: one with just two seats and a shelf in the back for belongings.

"I'll miss you too," I replied.

"I'll come back as soon as I can."

"Hey... Don't worry about me or any of us, okay? You have more important things on your mind right now." She nodded. "Is there anything else you need? Anything else I can do for you, except watering your plants?" I asked. Alice had three Aspidistras in our room.