Chapter 19 - Somewhere else

Brienne's POV:

"I don't want anyone else. I want you. I love you Brienne".
"I love you too, Imogen. So much".
I didn't want our kiss to end. I didn't want to ever leave her. I wanted to feel those loving lips on mine and gaze into her big brown eyes for the rest of my life. But I'd let her down, I'd let her family down.
"But you have to let me go, for your own sake" I whispered and as the words left me my heart broke. I lowered her arms from my neck then forced myself to leave. I took one last look at the beautiful woman who had shown me nothing but love and affection ever since the day I met her, who was now so weak and helpless because of me, then closed the door.
As I walked away I heard her crying and put my hand over my mouth so she couldn't hear me doing the same.

I didn't dare look up at her window as I prepared to leave. I knew she would be stood there watching me and I couldn't bring myself to see her sad tearful eyes. So I rode off into the night, heading back to my life before Imogen at King's Landing.

*

I arrived a week later and was greeted at the gates by the friendly face of Ser Davos. His grey beard had grown significantly since I last saw him.
"Welcome back Ser Brienne" he called, "the Council is expecting you".
"Greetings Davos" I said as I entered. I dismounted Sable and handed her over to the stableboy.
"Her name is Sable. Take good care of her" I told him and he gave me a nod.
"Sable? How did you come up with that name?" Davos said from behind me.
"I didn't...someone else did".
"Ah. A friend from your travels I assume?"
"Yes" I said bluntly. I was reluctant to talk and he knew by now not to probe me further.

We headed to the Council chambers and were the last to arrive. The usual faces were already seated around the table. Tyrion Lannister at the head, Grand Maester Samwell Tarley, Master of Coin Bronn Blackwater then Ser Davos and me.
"Ah Ser Brienne, welcome back" Tyrion said cheerfully. I respected Tyrion, he was an intelligent and wise man who believed in negotiation over violence.
"And you Lord Tyrion".
I greeted the others accordingly. Samwell was kind, diplomatic and always happy. Bron was cocky and arrogant but charming and witty. It wasn't surprising he got along with Jamie so well.

We discussed the usual matters of money, politics, strategies and so forth. Then the meeting turned to a more serious matter.
"Lastly there have been reports of a group of mercenaries prowling around just outside the city. No one knows who they are or why they are here but they want something" Tyrion said, pouring another goblet of wine for himself.
"Has anyone tried to communicate with them?" Davos asked.
"Several attempts have been made but we're met with silence every time" Tyrion responded.
"Are they some sort of mute bandits?" Bronn said.
"I don't think so. Apparently they're dressed in red cloaks and-"
Alarm bells went off in my head, "the Red Riders" I muttered.
"The what?" Bronn said.
"The Red Riders. They're a group of mercenaries who work with the Red Priests. They're highly dangerous...and probably looking for me".
"You? Why?" Tyrion asked and I explained the whole story.
"For fuck's sake Brienne! All that just so you get laid!" Bronn scoffed. I stood up and grabbed him by the scruff of the neck, lifting him out of his seat.
"You have NO FUCKING IDEA what Imogen has been through you arrogant prick!" I yelled.
"Aww my heart bleeds for her" he choked out sarcastically.
My rage got the better of me and I raised my fist.
"That's enough Brienne! Put him down!" Tyrion demanded.
I dropped him and he straightened his shirt, trying not to gasp for breath.
"So what are we going to do about these Red Riders?" Davos asked.
"Well last we heard there's only about two dozen so we could try reasoning with them. Or if they are as dangerous as you say they are, we could try to take them out with a small band of Lannister soldiers".
"I will cut every single one of them down where they stand if it means Imogen is safe from them" I said in a low voice.
"I understand you are angry Brienne but you can't let your heart rule your head. There are ways we can avoid bloodshed" Tyrion said reasonably.

We made a plan to seek out the remaining Red Riders and bring their leader to Tyrion for talks. After a lengthy discussion he refused to listen to any form of reason and was only interested in revenge for the murders of Garthax and Arkin.
"See you on the battlefield" the leader said smugly as he left to rejoin his troop.
I slammed my fist into the table, almost breaking it and growling in frustration.
"Brienne! Control yourself!" Tyrion shouted.
"I'm sorry Lord Tyrion I-"
"Your mind has been somewhere else ever since you got here! This isn't like you. You need to focus and stay calm" he told me, "but if it's a battle they want we'll bloody give them one".

Tyrion allowed me to lead a small army of Lannister foot soldiers just outside the city to face the Red Riders. He must have felt confident about it because our numbers matched.
"Just don't die on me...or Imogen" he said before we left at dawn.
Bronn accompanied me, "you know me, any excuse for a battle! Especially if it's for the love of a pretty lady!"
I rolled my eyes but truthfully I was glad he was there to fight alongside me.
When our armies faced each other and I looked into the eyes of their leader and I thought of Imogen. The nightmares she had, the pain she suffered, the loss she felt everyday.
"This is for you my lady" I thought and we charged into battle.

*

We returned victorious and I felt so relieved knowing Imogen would finally be safe now. We celebrated later that night with ale and drinking games but I excused myself, heading back to my room to be alone with my thoughts.
An hour later someone knocked on my door, I called for them to enter. It was Tyrion holding two goblets and a jug of red wine.
"Fancy a nightcap?" he said, easily convincing me.
"Congratulations on the battle, you made easy work of those Red Riders from what Bronn tells me" he said, impressed as he handed me a full goblet.
"It was personal. Who knows how many other families they've ruined over the years" I replied.
"You really love her don't you?" he said, reading me like an open book. I took a large gulp of wine.
"Then why the hell are you still here? The battle is over. Go to her!" Tyrion insisted.
"She almost died because of me. I let her down. She's better off without me" I said, staring into the fireplace.
"Exactly! She almost died but you saved her. You're the reason she's still alive and now the reason she'll be safe".
I looked over at him and he smiled a sympathetic smile.
"Go to her. Be happy. It's what Jamie would want for you" he said softly.
Those final words struck me and I realised...he was right.