Chapter One: Shakedown

In a dream, Kiyora saw the ocean lapping against the shores of a dockyard. Beyond it was a great, flat-roofed city. And on the piers walked a beautiful redhead with a spear and shield. Kiyora saw from her perspective.

The city of Ascorn had changed hands way too much lately.

Once filthy, the streets were much cleaner, and the city watch intervened in violence. Several new healing houses had been set up that tended to the poor freely. What expenses they had were paid for by the church, whose priests actually did their jobs. Best of all, no corpses.

Way to clean house.

Who was even running this place right now?

She walked along a street, spear and shield on her back, hips swaying side to side to distract those who gazed at her. Her spiked red mane flowed behind her as she flexed her bare shoulders. Lura was walking ahead, knife near to hand. Ahead, Red could see the ships waiting.

"So, who are these guys, Lura?" asked Red, adjusting a studded gauntlet.

"Does it matter?" asked Lura, tone level. "They are armed, owe your master money, and are reluctant to pay their dues."

Red didn't care as long as she got her cut.

Red unsheathed her spear as the men looked up at her. She knew that everyone was always trying to push you around in Harlenor. Calisha had been wild and untamed, but their laws...

Too much.

'I'd call that a bit arbitrary,' said Kiyora. 'Yeah, Baltoth was pretty ruthless. But Harlenor could learn a thing or two from him. And everyone in Erian is completely nuts.

'This is coming from someone who likes the place.'

Rain fell onto Red's choker and dripped onto her bare back. She adjusted her brassiere, stretching her bare midriff. It was a very toned midriff, going well with the long red hair held up by a headband.

"Who are these guys, Lura?" asked Red.

"Adavor and Torban," said Lura. "They run one of the piers out here in Ascorn."

"What, you mean the leftovers after Lamech lost his place in things?" asked Red.

Lamech was...

He was a professional—not someone you wanted to cross. Arkan Lantan had been able to channel him well, but he was gone. And what was worse, some of Lamech's people were even more bloodthirsty. Warrior women who behaved like Lamech were generally killed off by the others.

But Lamech had somehow managed to survive. All that with a passion for throwing people off buildings.

'Professional?' asked Kiyora. 'Lamech is a psycho. I don't care how convinced William is the guy is his shadow or whatever. They have nothing in common.

'Well, aside from wielding swords and wearing skull armor.'

"It's a yin and yang thing," said Red, stretching her neck.

"More or less," said Lura, pulling up one shoulder of her black dress as it slumped. Why did she pick something that bared her shoulders like that? Then again, Red wasn't one to talk.

"The new leader isn't isn't satisfied with taking orders."

"Want me to scare em back into line?" asked Red.

"We are nearly past that point," said Lura.

'Why have I never heard about this Lura person before now?' wondered Kiyora. 'I mean, I guess it's a big country. And it's not like I spend a lot of time out here. For all I know, William ran into her in one of all the unspecified villages he healed.