Chapter Seventeen: Chance Meetings

The song radiated from the inn slowly and sad.

Fayn needed help understanding the words, having not studied elven. She'd studied Bretusian and Jashinite instead. Yet, as it washed over her, she wondered where it came from. It brought to mind fallen Kingdoms long ago forgotten by humans. Of a world long passed by that had departed forever beyond sight, yet one which could come again. "What is that song?"

"An ancient elven lament," said Varsus, who had studied elven. "It sings of the fall of Lord Feanor to the armies of Anoa. Sir Orson, one of the greatest knights to ever live, was fostered in his care. He set out to make a name for himself among elves and humans alike.

"But as the tragedy of the conflict unfolded, Orson took the side of Anoa.

"Thus it was that he laid siege to the castle he had been born and raised in. At the climax of the battle, Orson met Feanor in single combat. By that time, Feanor had slain many humans and destroyed several armies.

"And Orson had killed many elves.

"One who had been as a Father to him was slain in a bitter contest. And only when the rage had cleared from Orson's eyes did he remember his time within that place. Only then did he weep."

"Who cares?" asked Reginald. "Elves have no sense of gratitude. Curbing their numbers is the only reason humanity ever had a chance."

"I imagine many people cared, Reginald," said Varsus. "And the legacy of that terrible battle lasts to this day. Orson was given it by King Anoa as a reward and ruled justly for a time. He ensured the Wood Elves were not persecuted and did much to reign in the vengeance of mankind.

"But when his affair with Queen Gwendoven was discovered, Anoa and Orson went to war. And Anoa proved the master and killed both in his rage.

"After that, the fortress of Feanor and the lands around became cursed. Evil and vengeful spirits came to it, and the dead walked. Neral Dinis came to that place alongside other dark powers I will not speak of here.

"Once, it was known as the Greenwood, but it now bears the name of Blackfear.

"It is strange that we should now associate so with the darkest of powers, as though such things do not matter. Yet we still cling to the old hatred of the elves.

"I find it...

"Odd."

"Because it was the right thing to do," said Fayn. "Whatever their nature, the vampires were granted official rank by King Andoa. That alongside the privileges that entailed. By doing that, we formed a mutual obligation toward one another, the bond between King and the subject.

"The Thieves Guild conspired to starve the vampires and make them reliant on them. They attempted to enslave the population of Blackfear once the vampires were starving.

"The elves knew of this. And they let it happen as part of a power play.

"What they were doing was evil. We ought to have wiped em all out after that stunt. Not handed them free money to take over a district."

Silence. Fayn looked around and realized quite a few people in Harlenor might agree with her. She thought about Alasa and Tef and the others. "I didn't mean that."

"I'll bet," said Ham.

"Can we get something to eat?" asked Reginald, looking past caring. "This entire situation is a mess."

"I agree," said Ham morosely.

Inside, the inn was crowded. Many people had hurried here for fear of Aklus and sat in small groups. For a moment, Fayn thought she saw Alasa singing while looking out a window. However, when she blinked, she was not there.