Chapter Three: From Stone and Water

It had been years since Sophia's eyes had turned to stone. The experience had been... odd. Meduseld's eyes had been beautiful as well.

After her long sleep, she meditated and ignored the boat's rocking as it tossed and turned on the seas. A sea breeze flew through her braid as Casia paced back and forth. Ahead, Sophia could feel that the wind was not as strong from in front of them.

"Wow, Sophia!" said Casia's voice. "Look at that place! And the towers! I've never seen anything like this! Did Vanion live in this place?"

Sophia opened her eyes.

Ahead of them was a golden city, flowing with an unworldly light out toward them. You could see the piers with many ships at them. Vast amounts of goods and cargo were being unloaded everywhere. There was everything from slaves to weapons to clothes. The banner of Harlenor Reunited flowed on towers, and you could see men at those towers. Each one was built to shape the harbor.

There was also the island of Arkan Lantan, Atlan, in the distance. Large enough to have a city of its own and many small villages. Boats were going between them even now.

"No, that is Antion," said Sophia, standing and checking her bag. "Vanion lived in Carn Gable, a fortress on an island far north of here in a frozen land. He told us as much."

"Oh, that was years ago, and we were children," said Casia. "I can't wait to see Azgora again."

"This isn't a social call, Casia," said Sophia. "There is important business here from Zeya herself and Fortenex. And we have other business as well."

"I know, I know," said Casia, looking at her. "I'm just trying to focus on the good things."

"Why are you so energetic?" asked Sophia, feeling a smile come to her face.

"I just spent the last two years as a statue, Sophia," said Casia. "Forgive me if I want to stretch my legs a little."

"You should try to steady yourself and commune with your environment. You should see the divine spirit of the universe," said Sophia. "You would not have been taken off guard so easily by Meduseld if you had."

"Well, what about you?" asked Casia, crossing her arms and leaning against the side. "You got taken off guard, too. And if the person who got her, in the end, was a psychopathic blood knight, what does that say about your theory?"

"That is neither here nor there, Casia. Just remember that Spirtana has an observer here," said Sophia. "Red Safara. She might lay traps for us."

"Oh, come on, why do you always have to bring down the mood?" asked Casia. "You beat her ages ago."

"Yes, and she was never turned to stone for a decade," said Sophia. "I'm only trying to be prepared, Cassandra. Our duties to Zeya are too important to risk."

"Oh, come on," said Casia with a laugh. "Have a little faith, why don't you?"

Sophia would have told her lover that no one could talk to her about faith.

But then Casia swung a fist to smite the mast. As she did, the slender pole wrenched, and the boat cracked. Splintering about them, the vessel broke in half as Casia flailed back. As she did, she grasped Sophia's shoulder automatically.

Soon, both tumbled into the cold water as the boat shuddered to pieces above them. Sophia felt the water flowing over her and righted herself, looking at the tears on her clothes. Seeing Casia pointing upward, they swam toward the light of the sun above them.

Plunging out of the water, Casia and Sophia emerged to the shoulders, dripping wet. Sophia looked at Casia in irritation.

"Sophia?" asked Casia. "Are you alright?"