Chapter Four: Daily Life

A town crier stood beneath a yellow, bearing the Red Hawk of the Royal Family of Antion and said:

"Hear ye, hear ye!

"Benarus Alcovian is sentenced to hang by the neck until dead for the peddling of malas! He and his associates were caught red-handed, drawing a large shipment from the river. They resisted arrest when found!

"The execution will take place tomorrow at midday!

"Food will be available for purchase! Throwing is permitted to make this drug-dealing filth's last moments more humiliating! Sharp stones are not permitted! Knives and pitchforks are also not permitted!"

'One thing I love about Harlenor is the bloodlust,' reflected Kiyora sadly.

But the antithesis to that violence was present too, which was nice. William was busy leaning against a wall, having finished his rounds for the day. Felix seemed out of sorts as he looked down the street.

"Are you alright?" asked William.

"I am thinking of how Calisha fairs," said Felix.

William remembered that Felix had not always been with him. "You haven't been home in a long time. It had probably changed much, even before Tuor took over."

"Yes," said Felix sadly. "I suppose it had. No matter. We should go on."

"Of course," said William.

The sun above them was bright, but not so bright it made his armor unbearable. William kept his helmet off for much of it, keeping to one side of the crowds as best he could. That was difficult enough; several times, he was jolted in the scurrying movement. People took burdens this way and that, and others tied up oxen carrying goods for one purpose or another.

Things had become all busier lately. The street cleaners Relma had recruited could be seen now and then. Guards hired as security had formed open areas on the street for them to scrub at. Many were new initiates into the temple. They were drawn by the onslaught of faith.

They worked at the filthy stones with wet rags or mops and did so heavily. Yet the grime was everywhere. Even if they finished this area quickly, they would have to move on to the next one just a little. William reflected that by the time the street was done, the area they'd started on would be filthy.

At least it kept the poor employed. If people experiencing poverty were working and could feed themselves. They couldn't be exploited as easily.

William needed a drink, or so he thought.

But he settled for prayer.

Arriving back at the Swan's Rest, William and Felix ordered a meal from Tef and sat down together. Food was brought out, meat bought by Tef that morning to be cooked, and soup, and they ate. It was excellent, incredible, even though William preferred Mother's cooking. However, that may have been the ingredients.

Not that either of them said anything.

There seemed very little to say as they ate. The world was changing.

Happily, Alasa arrived in her outfit, providing a decent distraction. Tef looked up from where she was waiting tables, then quickly looked back to her work. William noticed she had put up several lavender plants by the windows. It was a sweet-smelling herb Raka said helped with sickness. Rusara had used such things in the clinics she created.

"Is everything to your liking?" asked Alasa.

"Yes, Alasa," said William. "It's wonderful, thank you."

"Someone over there asking for you, if you know," said Alasa, placing a hand on the table and leaning down. The view was one William denied in favor of looking at her face. "Silver-haired and red-eyed."