Friends

Lavan stood on the outer porch of Azura's house. She was the only one of his sister's guardians that he could tolerate. Most of them were self-righteous blowhards. But Azura was kind, open minded, and had a cunning side to her that endeared Lavan. If this weren't the case he certainly wouldn't be here.

Fairies zoomed through the bluebell forest, hanging garlands and setting up tables of food. The night's festivities would be grand. He crossed his arms. He wasn't the biggest fan of summer moon festivals. While the moon haze was a pleasant feeling, fairies' natural magic would resonate under the full moon. Giving the world an extra dimension, stripping inhibitions. Some even got drunk off the feeling. He did not enjoy the noise and business of the festival.

"That's quite a sour look for such a happy day" Azura's musical voice preceded her as she floated out onto the porch.

He smirked at her.

"That's not better" She harrumphed "What has your wings in a knot?"

He sighed "I have a lot of work to catch up on. The miasmas in the lower swamps have been getting worse and some of the toadstool folk are having to evacuate to higher ground"

Azura folded her hands primly and followed his gaze, staring out at the slowly forming festival.

"Yes" she started in her maddeningly serene voice "And my ministers are fighting over council secession. Ive got property disputes from here to the Magic Meadow to work out. And I still haven't found an apprentice to help lighten my load" She nudged Lavan with her shoulder.

"There's always an excuse to run back to work. Its important to take these happy moments when they come. Would you rather spend the summer haze alone in your halls?"

He chewed on his lip for a moment. He had spent quite a few haze seasons alone. The feeling of the haze was always pleasant. But it had a dreadfully empty edge to it when one didn't have a partner. That was why fairies tended to gather when the summer moon was full. When the haze got to its height those who were partnered would go off to enjoy it. Some would even partner for the night. Riding the high to its conclusion. Either way, ignoring the haze simply wasn't possible. Every creature had a mating season. No matter how inconvenient or complicated that made things.

"See? Just enjoy the night. Partner or no partner its still good to be surrounded by friends while the moon is high" She said, a soft smile in her tone.

He raised an eyebrow at her "You and I both know I don't have any friends here"

She laughed and stepped off the balcony, cerulean sparkles of magic falling from her wings "You never know Lavan, maybe you'll find those friends you haven't met yet. Maybe you'll find something more"

He rolled his eyes but stepped off the balcony too. He might as well follow in her wake. It wasn't like he had anyone else to talk to.

.......

Several hours later Lavan watched as Azura floated up to the stage, lifting a cup of elderberry draught.

"Greetings friends! I thank you for coming to the annual Fairytown Summer Moon festival. As your Guardian, it is my pleasure to welcome you and wish you a wonderful night. Let the festivities begin!" After giving her required speech she took a sip from her cup, drawing a raucous cheer from the crowd.

Lavan took a sedate sip, watching as fairies of all types mingled, laughed and danced under the growing light of the moon. You could see its affects as minute by minute the fairies loosened, their smiles going from happy to downright delirious. He felt the effects wash over him, the world grew an extra dimension. Everything felt, more.