1: Very Confusing

You guys know I typically make long chapers, but nothing has ever been quite this long. Enjoy.

Images of:

Antonio Navas as Marcos Rivera

Tijn Elbers as Jeremy Cross

Wouter Peelen as Dr. Heinz Baumer

Handel Harpsichord Suite No. 3 in D Minor

Please refer to the prologue for images of Basil and Franz.

—-

I cringed in my sleep, my head searing with tremendous pain.

"Ugh." I grumbled, grabbing my forehead lazily. After rubbing at it with my eyes screwed shut, I sat up.

The lower half of my body was covered up by the orange and yellow quilt my grandmother stitched for me. It was intricately designed with suns and sunflowers in alternating colors on the orange and yellow squares. Sunflowers were my favorite plant and yellow was my favorite color. Actually, orange was too but I can never choose one over the other, so my Grandmother used both.

I slid it off of me while cradling my head. I had no idea why it hurt so much, and when I tried to think of if I did anything the previous day that would make my head feel like that, nothing came to mind. I shrugged it off and decided to take some Advil.

My feet swung over the edge of my bed and then padded across the old wood of my apartment's floor. It was a small rental space. One bathroom, a closet the realtor called a bedroom, and another closet that happened to have a stove and fridge. There was no front room. My bathroom was ironically the biggest area in the whole place. I stepped in and opened the medicine cabinet that was behind the mirror. After popping an Advil in my mouth and shoving my face under the old faucet for some water, my landline began to ring as I started to brush my teeth. I rolled my eyes and made my way back into my room. I pressed talk.

            "Hewwo?" I asked with a foam filled mouth.

            "Hey Basil, this is Mark."

            After I heard his name I picked the phone up to cancel speaker and kicked the end table the landline sat on close to the bathroom door so that I could talk on the phone from the bathroom. I spat into my sink and began brushing my teeth again. "Mhm." I replied. Mark was my ex-boyfriend. We broke up and everything, but it was sort of mutual... Not really, but I got over it pretty quickly. Anyway, we're friends now as strange as that seems to some people, especially Jeremy. Jeremy really doesn't like it. Anyway, sometimes we would go out for a friendly lunch and catch up with each other.

            "Are you brushing your teeth?" Mark asked after a moment.

            "What do you want Mark?" I snapped, still affected by my aching head. After a pause I said, "Sorry. My head just feels like shit."

            He cleared his throat. "It's alright. Hey, I was thinking we could go get some paninis or something. Unless you have something to do today...?"

            I hummed an acknowledgement before spitting out the suds. Since it was the week of Christmas, I actually had nothing to do in all honesty. I'm a substitute teacher by profession, and since all the schools are on break at the moment, I very much so was free. "What time?" I asked, washing my toothbrush off and placing it in its holder.

            "What about around 1:30? We could meet up at Felipe's?" Mark told me.

            I nodded my head even though he couldn't see that. "Okay."