2: First Spilled Blood

The next day things weren't much better. I found myself in the same office as the night Jeremy first brought me to Hush. I was seated beside Franz on his right side and behind his desk. Yes, yes I was strapped up as usual. That had become a requirement at this point. Anytime I was in his presence my freedom was chained. Jeremy, on the other hand, was on my right standing as a free man and Heinz occupied Franz's left. You might be wondering if Franz looked as dapper as usual; the answer to that would be yes.

Of course, he was draped in a large caramel-colored fur coat with chocolate colored dress pants and vest. His golden hair was pulled back in a ponytail and his face was puckered and annoyed. That was understandable because for the past twenty minutes he had been struggling with Mr. Rupert to get payment for Jeremy's error. Mr. Rupert paid a little bit of money for a little bit of blood. Jeremy accidently gave him a lot of blood and Mr. Rupert drank it all and is refusing to pay for it.

Mr. Rupert was not what I expected in all honesty. When Jeremy first told me about him I expected someone... Well, more heavyset. In fact, Mr. Rupert was spindly with somewhat of a large skull. His eyes were beady yet bulgy, and he had the widest smile I had ever seen, even sporting the most teeth I'd ever seen. His hair was damp and grey. The top of his head bald and glistening in the light of the office. Franz had the drapes open and so it was much brighter in the office than when I first came in that night.

He was laughing boldly as Franz looked at him with a piercing glare.

"And so you see Lord Vertusch, even if I had the money to pay you back it wouldn't be in my place to. It was your Banker's fault not mine." Mr. Rupert said while cracking a smile on his thin lips, showing off his gums and small teeth.

Franz sighed deeply. "Herr Rupert, you've been such a gut client of ours and I am sorry for all of zhis." Franz said in apology, something I wouldn't expect of him in my short time of knowing him.

Mr. Rupert nodded in agreement.

"Heinz, please bring me my finest cigars." Franz lifted an eyebrow in Mr. Rupert's direction.

The gangly old man nodded his head in agreement again, like an eager dog.

"Sehr gut, sehr gut. Und ein Rohr für mich."

Heinz nodded and bowed slightly, "Ja Master." He said before walking away to behind Mr. Rupert. He disappeared from the entry door.

I was so confused as to what was going on. I felt like I'd been confused for almost a week even though it's only been like three days. At first I didn't know why I had been called into the office to watch the meeting, but Jeremy said it was probably so that Franz could make a point to me. So far I wasn't seeing a point to be made.

"So Jeremy you said zhat Mr. Rupert refused to pay zhe price for zhe extra blut, ja?" Franz asked, turning to face Jeremy on my other side.

"Yes Master." Jeremy replied, "In fact he threatened me. He told me he'd kill me on the spot if I didn't leave his property. That's when I left and immediately came to tell you about the situation." Jeremy said without missing a beat.

This guy threatened Jeremy? I looked at him with surprise, as did Franz.

He lifted an elegant and fair eyebrow. "You zhreatened eine employee of mein?"

Mr. Rupert shifted in his chair, "Well, you didn't expect me to take shit from a Banker did you?"

"If zhat Banker vorks for me zhen you'll take zhat shit und eat it too Herr Rupert!!" Franz yelled loudly and aggressively. His face was red and nearly everyone in the office jumped in surprise at that unexpected reply. Franz was glaring with narrowed eyes at Mr. Rupert.