3rd Story - Leticia

"And the winner of this bout is Leeeeticia! Give it up for our dark horse!" Trista's well-modulated voice carried easily over the excited cheering of the spectators in the arena stands.

I stared at my opponent, breathing heavily as beads of sweat rolled down my face and onto the stone tiles that we stood upon.

"Well fought, Dame Leticia." Rosette said, extending her hand for a friendly shake. In stark contrast to my exhaustion, her breathing was light and controlled, and though her skin shone with the sheen of sweat, she was hardly as exhausted as I was.

"...You too, Dame Rosette." I replied, shaking her hand after catching my breath. "Sure as hell doesn't feel like I won, though."

Rosette merely grinned in response. "Don't doubt yourself so soon, Dame Leticia. You fought well and with all your spirit. There was no way that someone as distracted as I could've defeated you."

She was right. I'd noticed Rosette's half-hearted strikes and movements even during our first few exchanges, her sword moving slower than usual and her eyes hazy as if she were far away on another battlefield. Despite that, she still managed to be one of the strongest opponents I'd ever dueled.

As a knight, this kind of victory wasn't something that I could accept.

"...Maybe we can have a rematch when you've got your worries sorted out, Dame Rosette?"

"Of course, Dame Leticia. I look forward to crossing blades with you once more."

As the two of us basked in our newfound camaraderie, an extremely loud and obnoxious voice completely tarnished the moment.

"I'M FUCKIN' RICH!!!" Medrauta shouted from the stands, laughing maniacally as Viviane helplessly tried to cover her knight's mouth.

As it so happened, the odds had been completely stacked against me at the betting booth. I'd expected that to be the case since my match ranking was quite low and I hadn't distinguished myself in duels either. Perhaps I had been holding myself back because of what my father had drilled into me all those years, but I'd only started becoming strong after finally earning my place as Rosie's knight.

Regardless, it seemed like Medrauta had bet on my victory and won big. Her idiotic laughter and shouting had ruined the moment, but I suppose I'd have to forgive her since she didn't bet against me.

I moved to the waiting room after Rosette wished me luck and bid me farewell, grabbing a towel to mop up the sweat that I was still drenched in. I was no stranger to perspiration, but damn was this tiring. Honestly, I don't think I was this exhausted even after fighting the gauntlet.

"Yo, Leticia!" Brigitte called as she walked out toward me, handing me a flask of water. I gratefully accepted it and chugged down its contents.

"Thanks, Brigitte." I grinned. "How'd your duel go? I think it ended a lot earlier than mine, but I was too focused on my duel to hear the results."

"Eh, I don't blame you. I don't think anyone except Medrauta could get away with dueling Rosette without giving it their all. But to answer your question... Well, I lost." Brigitte laughed. "I'll get my revenge next year, though!"

"W-What!?" I exclaimed, my eyes widening in shock. "You lost to Kate!?"

I mean, I knew that Kate was one hell of a duelist, but I never imagined she'd be able to beat Brigitte! Sure, the two managed to duel each other to a draw during the entrance examination, but it's been two months since then!

Plus, with Medrauta as her regular sparring partner, there were few first-year knights in the academy who could best Brigitte in a duel. Kate must be training really hard, huh...? I gotta give it my all too!