6th Story - Esmeralda

"We can't be having this any longer, Esmeralda."

I crossed my arms as I looked at Dame Eirlys, thoroughly confused. As far as I knew, I hadn't done anything wrong. Hell, the imperial minister who had been nosing around ever since this morning hadn't even glanced my way once!

Since she was a knight who even Medrauta respected, I held Dame Eirlys in pretty damn high regard, but I wasn't gonna just let her start poppin' off on me when I ain't done shit.

"Havin' what, Dame Eirlys? All I've been doin' is spar with Leila, and I didn't screw up any of my drills either." Not that I even would. Like Medrauta always says, anyone who screws up on drills by this point ain't a knight.

Dame Eirlys shook her head as if she were hurrying to clarify herself, and bitch she better. "I wasn't talking about you," she said as she jerked a thumb toward the bleachers.

On one of the rows sat a silver-haired knight who looked more mopey than I would've thought possible. I stared at her for a few seconds, trying to catch her blank gaze. When I inevitably failed, I simply shrugged and turned back to Dame Eirlys.

"You and Melindra need to do something about Medrauta. Hell, I'll even go bug Dame Julia just so we can borrow Brigitte for a day."

"Uh... Sorry, what?" I squinted, not sure if I was even hearing her right. She wanted me and Melindra to do something about Medrauta? Talk about crazy! I can't remember the last time Medrauta actually listened to either of us!

Well... I can, but it was for trivial shit, not the type of crap she's gotten herself wrapped up in! I'd been hella worried about her during the past few weeks, 'specially after she jumped in front of that crazy ass beam. Honestly, I'm not sure what the hell the Round Table's doin', 'cause princess or not, that shit was way overkill.

I mean, she's all healed up now thanks to Lady Ysolte, but Aluvsha be damned, she's been staring off into space nonstop ever since she lost that crappy match against the princess. I guess she was a bit more focused two weeks ago during the match against those foreigners two weeks ago, but... Yeah. There ain't no way I can do shit 'bout how she's been acting.

"Medrauta has been stuck in what seems to be a festering pit of lethargy, Esmeralda. She's refrained from participating in any of the classes aside from tactics these past few weeks, and even in that class, all she does is say the most irritating things."

Okay...? And what do you expect me to do about it? "Well, uh... Did you talk to her?"

"Yes," Dame Eirlys replied in a tone that very obviously hinted at the great pains she was taking to conceal her annoyance. "Of course I did."

I shrugged in response. Regardless of how annoyed she was getting at me, it's not like I could actually do anything in the first place. "Well, if she won't listen to you, she ain't gonna listen to me, ma'am. She respects you a lot more than she does Melindra and I."

"...Perhaps that may be so, but in the end, I am still a knight-instructor. I cannot connect with her in the same way that you and Melindra can."

"I mean... It's not as if we've been ignoring her. Melindra and I tried to cheer her up back when she was first discharged from the infirmary, but it's like talkin' to a goddamn brick wall. All she gives is one word answers, and she rejects all our invitations to hang out 'cause she'd rather stare at walls."

"Regardless, I'm sure your friendship will be able to pierce through any wall. Please give it another try, Esmeralda. If this keeps up, Medrauta is going to be behind with the curriculum, and she's already on thin ice with the Round Table. I don't want to see such a talented knight be held back."