6-9-15

((Quick note: I changed my Tumblr URL, from thesugarcubesaga to randomacquaintance))

Salutations.

Okay so Olivia from @/capsels just uploaded a thing, where she explained how she fell into the fandom/fanfiction life, and now I want to do it, because why not?

Um. . .I don't really know how to start, so this'll probably be a huge mess, but I figure I may as well start with my first fandom: The Hunger Games.

Basically, a couple of days before the first THG movie came out, my mom, who'd read the entire trilogy beforehand, said we were going to see it the weekend it came out. I didn't know anything about the movie, because at the time I really only watched Disney Channel and Nickolodeon (oh, how times have changed) and because it wasn't very well known at the time, it wasn't broadcasted much, like Catching Fire or Mockingjay. But because my mom said the same thing about Twilight (her favorite series, surprisingly) which was boring as hell, I was pretty reluctant to go.

When I first saw the movie, I actually really liked it. Because I was a shitty eleven year old that refused to like anything my parents did at the time (I still don't know why) I pretended I didn't think much of it, but really, the entire plot fascinated me.

Fast forward several months, when it was announced that it'd be coming on DVD in August: I practically demanded that we buy it, because I really really wanted to watch it again (funny thing is, it was released exactly four days before we'd go on a trip to San Diego, and since we did buy it just before, I watched it almost every night while we were there) and I kept asking my mom questions about the series ("What happens after the first books end?" "What happened to Seneca Crane?" " What happens in Catching Fire?" etc. etc.).

I feel I should mention this now: the best social media to binge on a fandom on is not Instagram, Twitter, or even Tumblr: it's fucking Pinterest.

At the time, I had a Pinterest (I still have on, but I never use it to relinquish or anything, just to stalk random gay ships/obsessions)(also half of the stuff I reblogged was offensive and ignorant as hell please don't give ten year olds a Pinterest) and searched The Hunger Games obsessively. I think I had - and still have - over seven boards dedicated to THG, and thousands of pins of anything and everything relating to it. There were head canons, posters, Tumblr posts, everything I could get my hands on. I counted down the days to the next movie [and still do, actually(164 days)] and basically I was the very definition of trash.

((I should add that I just found out that the trailer for Pt. 2 was released, and I screamed and cried and watched it and now I'm a mess fuck why did no one tell me it was released I hate everything))

Anyways, by this point, I still hasn't read the books. I never asked, but either way, my mom borrowed them, so I couldn't read them even I wanted to.

But then, on Christmas that year, they bought me the entire trilogy.

I was kinda meh about it tbh, because they were bigger than any book I'd ever read by then, and had this weird mindset that I really didn't like reading much (I didn't read often, but I sped through everything I read, and usually enjoyed it, as long as it wasn't too boring) so I left the books alone for a few days.

Then, maybe three or four days after Christmas, I picked up the first one at about 10pm because I was curious, and basically, by the time I had to go to bed (my bedtimes have always been early, but even though it was vacation, I'm sure you can imagine my bedtime when I was eleven, if it was 10:00 this year on school days -_-) I was hooked.

Long story short, I read the entire trilogy in less than three days, taking breaks only to sleep, eat, shit, and shower (I would've skipped that last one if I could, bc priorities) and ended up staring at walls for the next couple of days. To this day, I'd never read such a strong epilogue, beating out everything from Allegiant, HP, Before I Fall, Love Letters to the Dead, and everything else that accumulates to the dozens of books I've went through.