Chapter 04

"I'm on my way to Suguru right now, it was reported that a civilian found him unconscious in a pool of blood, his blood, that wouldn't be a problem if he was attacked or if it is from a mission. This time, the school didn't make any move to cover anything up" Shoko sighed as she took another puff of her cig. Just when she thought things were getting good, this happens. She should've wished for the normal injuries these assholes somehow gain than receiving these types of news.

"Suguru tried to kill himself, I'm on my way to find out why, Yaga suggested that you come too, as Suguru is closer to you than me" Feeling drained, Shoko ended the call as she heard Satoru's shaking voice of 'bye' - a voice filled with forceful attempt of sounding joyful but failing awfully to do so - it was Satoru's type of voice she never wished to hear again. And this news - this one is one she would die for to never receive again.

Looking at the passing scenery outside, she couldn't help but let out a scornful sneer. This could be perfect if it was a vacation - she thought but her heart kept shouting to never see this scenery again as it would remind her of what is about to become her greatest nightmare. She could bet her entire secret stash of cigarettes that unless Suguru is within reach and sight, Satoru will never be calm. She just knows those two too well. Or maybe not.

Shutting her eyes forcefully, Shoko bent against her knees, trying so hard not to cry. She knew something was wrong, she felt it in her gut when she found out that this year-long mission wasn't assigned by the higher-ups but was chosen by Suguru - how Suguru lied to them, by then, she already knew something was wrong. So wrong.

She knew death in this type of world was unavoidable, especially when the number of curses to be dealt with exceeded the number of sorcerers, she had seen countless deaths. But it was never this unpleasant. It wouldn't be a lie if she told someone how she prepared herself to receive the death of her senseis, senpais, friends, and schoolmates. She prepared herself for the worst outcome - for the worst news she could receive. Especially when she would be the one dealing with their dead bodies. But now, she realized how much her preparation was lacking. She never once considered, how she could one day deal with a body, not killed by a curse or another enemy, but by its owner.

Oh how much she wished to burst out crying, but she can't. Not until she confirms that Suguru is alive, not until she knows Satoru knows that their best friend is alive.

Ring~

The phone call pulled her out of her thoughts, glancing at the other side of the back seat where she tossed her phone carelessly. The screen flashed a familiar name, a name she didn't expect to receive today - or maybe she did.

"Utahime-san"

"I'm with the second years and Mei Mei-san, we're on our way, and unfortunately, we heard what happened. We made sure it wouldn't spread, although I think the higher-ups might use it against Satoru and your Sensei"

"I know, I know at least that much"

"What do you mean he tried to kill himself?! Suguru was fine when we talked yesterday! He sounded fine! At least for me, fuck!" Satoru turned around, adding more force at pulling his hair, in hoping to look for more reasons as to why Satoru had reached this stage.

Satoru, Shoko, Yaga, Kento, Yu, Mei Mei, and Utahime are now standing outside the unconscious Suguru's ward in the hospital.

All of them have faces no one would rather see again.

Now that they have confirmed that Suguru is stable, they have to find out why he even attempted to end his life.

"Was it a psychological effect from a mission? But Suguru's reports never hinted such a thing" Yaga groaned, never once in his life did he see himself receiving the news of his student attempting suicide. Such things weren't uncommon, but it wasn't usual to be taken as a normal thing.