chapter 5

As Eleanor stepped out of the swirling portal, she found herself back at the Stark Industries building, standing next to Dr. Stephen Strange. Her heart swelled with gratitude for the magical journey they had just shared, but a small pang of worry hit her as she glanced at her watch and realized just how much time had passed.

"Thank you for the ride back, Stephen," she said, offering him a warm smile.

"You're welcome, El. Remember, if you ever need me, just call," he replied, giving her a reassuring pat on the shoulder before the portal closed behind him.

Taking a deep breath, Eleanor walked into the building, hoping that she could sneak back to her desk unnoticed. However, her luck seemed to run out as she turned the corner and came face to face with Tony Stark, who was clearly not in a good mood.

"Eleanor! Where have you been? You've been missing the whole day!" Tony exclaimed, his tone a mix of irritation and concern.

"I... I'm so sorry, Mr. Stark. It won't happen again. I had an emergency, and I lost track of time," Eleanor stammered, feeling the weight of Tony's disapproval.

"An emergency? Do you realize how much work you've missed? We have deadlines to meet, and I can't have my assistant disappearing without notice! I mean it's only your second day!" Tony's frustration was evident, and Eleanor couldn't blame him.

"I understand, and I promise it won't happen again," she said earnestly, her cheeks flushing with embarrassment.

Tony took a deep breath, his expression softening slightly. "Look, I get that things can happen, but you need to communicate with me if you're going to be absent. We're a team here, and we rely on each other."

Eleanor nodded, feeling a mixture of relief and guilt. "You're right, Mr. Stark. It was irresponsible of me, and I apologize."

Tony sighed, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Just don't let it become a habit, okay? Now, let's get back to work and make up for the lost time."

Eleanor nodded again, grateful for his understanding, even though she knew she had messed up. As they walked back to her desk, she couldn't help but think about the magical adventure she had just experienced with Dr. Strange. A small smile made its way onto her face as she remembered the day.

~earlier that day~

Tony Stark sat in his office, his mind wandering as he absentmindedly toyed with a mechanical pen. He hadn't seen Eleanor all day, and her absence weighed on him more than he cared to admit. As much as he tried to focus on his work, his thoughts kept drifting back to her.

He couldn't deny the connection he felt with Eleanor from the moment she walked into Stark Industries. She was more than just an efficient assistant; she had a way of making him smile even on the most stressful days. There was an ease between them, an unspoken understanding that transcended the professional relationship they shared.

Tony didn't quite understand why he couldn't get her out of his mind. It was more than just the fact that she was an attractive lady. There was something about her that drew him in, like a magnetic force he couldn't resist. He found himself seeking her company, enjoying their conversations, and even seeking her opinion on matters beyond work.

He tried to push those thoughts aside, reminding himself that he was Tony Stark, billionaire, genius, and philanthropist. He was not the type to get wrapped up in personal emotions. But deep down, he knew there was more to it than that. There was a connection between them that he couldn't explain, no matter how hard he tried to analyze it.

As he sat in his office, he recalled the times he had spent with all of his mates – the late-night conversations, the shared laughter, and the way they all just sort of fit together like a puzzle, yet he also felt slightly out of place against everyone else. He had never felt this way about anyone before, and it both intrigued and scared him.

I mean who would want a playboy as their soulmate, right? He was lucky enough that the others had accepted him as their mate but he feared his missing soulmate won't have the same empathy towards him.

Tony shook his head, trying to dismiss the idea. It was absurd, he told himself. He was Tony Stark, the Iron Man, and he didn't believe in fate or destiny. But as much as he tried to deny it, there was a part of him that couldn't ignore the possibility.

He sighed, realizing that he had been missing her more than he cared to admit. He decided that when she returned, he would talk to her, share his feelings, and see if she reciprocated.

~present~

Eleanor sat down at her desk and began answering emails that had been forwarded to her by Miss Potts when she noticed one that was out of the ordinary. The email was sent directly to her from an unknown mailer with the title "The Soldier".

El assumed it was sent to her by mistake but that didn't stop her from opening the attached file that was sent. It led her to a folder of statistics and information on this man and the peculiar thing was, at the end of the file, there was a document named "Avenger Transfer & Recovery."

Strange, she thought to herself. She clicked into the document and scrolled past information that she didn't understand and past paragraphs of an unusual language that looked like Russian that she obviously couldn't read. After all that was written a single name under the subtitle of "PSYCHOLOGIST & HELP".

Her heart dropped when she read the name, 'Eleanor Thompson.'