chapter 9

Eleanor wasn't surprised when she awoke with her apartment in an absolute mess. It looked like a tornado rampaged through her place, there were empty bottles of liquor everywhere which is when she assumed she got piss-drunk and raged around the room.

El tended to do these things, like drinking her problems away but today she still felt as empty as before. The hangover couldn't even cover up the pain she was feeling and she was even more hurt to see the texts that Nat had sent her.

Natasha: I don't think I'm going to come around anymore, sorry.

That's what probably spiraled her, she could just hear her saying those words and that shattered whatever was left of her heart. Suddenly a knock was heard from the door.

"Eleanor, I really need to speak with you. I've tried to contact you but you haven't answered," a soft, gruff voice said, Stark had come to fire her. The cherry on top of her pile of shit!

Eleanor's head throbbed with the remnants of her hangover as she staggered towards the door. She swung it open, her disheveled appearance mirroring the chaotic state of her apartment. Tony Stark stood there, his expression a mix of concern and frustration.

"Eleanor, what the hell happened here?" Tony's voice carried a mixture of annoyance and genuine worry.

Eleanor rubbed her temples, wincing at the pain that flared up. "It's... a mess, I know. I had a rough night."

Tony's eyes narrowed as he took in the scene. "Rough night, my ass. This looks like more than just a hangover. You've been dealing with something, haven't you?"

Eleanor hesitated for a moment, her guard coming down as she realized she couldn't hide the truth from Tony. She stepped aside, gesturing for him to enter. "Yeah, you're right. I've been dealing with a lot."

Tony walked in, surveying the wreckage before turning his attention back to Eleanor. "Start talking."

Eleanor took a deep breath and recounted the events of the past few days – the call from Fury, the Winter Soldier project, the rift with Natasha. Tony listened intently, his expression growing more serious as he absorbed the information.

"Wait, you mean to tell me that Fury contacted you directly and dragged you into this mess?" Tony's tone was a mixture of disbelief and anger.

Eleanor nodded, her voice tinged with frustration. "Yes, and it's caused more problems than I could have imagined. Natasha doesn't trust me anymore."

Tony let out a frustrated sigh, running a hand through his hair. "Dammit, Fury always has a way of mucking things up. You shouldn't be involved in this kind of stuff, Eleanor."

Eleanor looked down, her guilt resurfacing. "I know, but I wanted to help. I thought I could make a difference."

Tony's expression softened as he looked at Eleanor. "You're too good-hearted for your good, you know that? But sometimes getting involved in these things can do more harm than good."

Eleanor's shoulders slumped, a mix of exhaustion and defeat washing over her. "I'm starting to realize that now. I just... I don't know how to fix this mess."

Tony stepped closer, placing a hand on her shoulder. "First things first, you need to take care of yourself. You can't help anyone if you're falling apart."

Eleanor looked up at Tony, her eyes filled with a mixture of gratitude and vulnerability. "What do I do about Natasha?"

Tony sighed, his gaze sympathetic. "You're going to have to give her time. Trust is fragile, and you need to show her through your actions that you're on her side. And as for Fury, leave that to me."