Chapter 13

Jordan

Monday comes and I'm bouncing on my toes to see Cassie. I missed her so much! Jason told me she looked so sick when he went to see her. Poor Cass.

I wait on the outskirts of campus for awhile until a black clad figure comes around the corner, its hair swaying with each step. I watch as their face turns up and I see those eyes. Cassie's eyes. I wait for her to get to me before engulfing her in a hug. I pull away after a minute and we walk into school.

The silence is comfortable, but she has this faraway look on her face. I go to open my mouth but she beats me. "Don't...please" her voice soft and strained. I side step her and look down into her eyes. She turns her head and lets out a cough. Oh. She's still sick.

I get out the way and she walks into class, sitting in the chair closest to the door, laying her head in her arms. I sit behind her and rub her back until she is breathing softly. She's a good student so the teacher leaves her alone as the rest of the class takes notes.

I wake her up as class finishes. She just zombies her way through the next class until lunch comes. We meet up with Jason at a table less noticeable since Cassie would definitely appreciate the space right now. We sit and me and Jason eat the food. Eventually he looks at me and nods over at Cassie.

"Hey Cassie. You doing ok?" She hasn't touched her food, and she's been getting paler these days. She gives a soft nod and fiddles with her fingers. "Eat, Cass. It'll help" she lets out a soft huff and places a fry in her mouth.

After we all eat (Cassie only downing half her plate), me and Jason skip the rest of the day with some friends at my house. Our QB, Darren, chucks each of us a beer as we chill and set up a video game. Good times.

My mind wanders back to Cassie. I shoot her a text knowing she's still in classes. I kind feel bad about not bringing her along, but I know she hates skipping school. She just looks so tired all the time, she could've taken a nap here. Then again, I know how most of my friends are and Cassie wouldn't be comfortable. Mmmmgh.

My phone shakes me out of my thoughts and I look at Cass' reply. I'm good. I chuckle to myself and watch Darren and Grant race each other, desperately trying to get the upper-hand. Eventually, Grant wins. He does a little victory dance while Darren chugs his beer sorely.

"Yo, who's that blonde chick you're always with, Jordan" Darren turns his head to me, a smirk on his lips.

"Cassie?"

"Yea, man. You should invite her over. School's almost out" he chuckles, putting in a new game. I shrug and send her a text.

Hey, Cass. Wanna come over after school?

Sure.

I get up and grab my keys. "Don't trash my place. I'm looking at you Grant" I glare at him and he fakes a surrender. Chuckling, I head out and drive up to our school, waiting for Cass to get out.

After an hour, the final bell rings and I watch as students rush out of the building. One of the first people out wears that same black hoodie from years ago. I smile and turn on the car as Cass gets in, putting her bag on the floor.

The drive back was quiet, as it usually would be. I look over at my best friend, seeing her rub her eyes. "You wanna nap in my room? It'll be quiet there" she nods while I turn into my driveway.

We walk into the house and turn the corner, just in time to see Jason punch Darren in the face. Darren stumbles to the side, holding his right cheek. "Dude, what the hell?!" He goes to return the favor, but Jason ducks and lands another blow to his gut.

Darren doubles over, holding his stomach, panting. "Take it back" Jason pushes Darren over.

"Dude. I didn't say anything that wasn't true. She's an addict and only hangs with y'all for it" Darren groans out, getting back up. They stand motionless for a few seconds, preparing to get into an all out fight. They charge towards each other, me and Grant pull them back and to different areas of the house.

I pull Jason into my room, Cassie close behind us. I'm assuming that Grant took Darren out to the backyard. Looking at Cass, her face is really pale and is holding her bag close to her body. I know she's not coming to me and Jason for drugs...but there's something thats not right about her.

If she was doing drugs, I'd kinda understand that. I know Brittany and her friends aren't the nicest to her, but are they that horrible to her that she would resort to drugs? Even then, if she were on something, she would tell me, right? I mean, she's my best friend.

"Jordan" I feel a shove and I look at Jason, confused. "Darren...he knows" I see Cassie from the corner of my eye and shake my head at Jason.

"We'll deal with him later" looking at Cassie, I give her a small smile. "Hey, Cass. We gotta take care of something. You think you'll be good by yourself? My mom is working late tonight"

"I'll be fine. I'm probably just gonna take a nap" she mumbled, adding a shrug. Me and Jason nod, heading out the front door and getting in my car. We look at each other as I turn on the engine, putting my car in reverse, we shoot off down the road.