VI

Negan woke with a start. The sun was peeking in his room, brighter than normal. After a few moments he realized it must be late- really late. He yawned, and sat up, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. Why were they so dry? Why did he feel fucking hungover? His hand drifted over unconsciously, feeling for a warm body next to him. There was none.

His head shot over and he realized with a start that Carl wasn't next to him. And then the events of the night before washed over him. It was like waking up from a bad dream- except instead of relief because it had only been a dream it was very real.

"Carl?" he yelled out. He scrambled off the bed, running over to the bathroom. He expected to find the worst- the kid was in such a state last night. Nothing. Negan spun around, heart racing, scrambling for the nearest clothes. He grabbed a pair of boxers, and made for the door- when it suddenly opened.

Carl calmly walked in with a plate of food. Negan almost collided with him, catching himself just in time.

"Carl where the fuck were you??" Negan demanded. Carl raised his eyebrow at him and smirked.

"Um. Being nice and getting you food?" he quipped back. "Unless you missed this plate. Blinder than me, old man? You're the one with both eyes."

Negan did not laugh. He was having trouble getting his heart rate back to normal, unsure of why Carl's disappearance had set him off so much. Last night has been rough. It had taken a few hours to get the kid back to normal, Negan finally dragging him off the floor and into the bed as the sun rose, wrapping his arms tightly around Carl and willing nothing else to hurt him.

Apparently though Carl had already bounced back to his normal self, despite the fact that he was looking a little worse for wear. His eye was puffy and bloodshot, his hair more tangled than normal and he looked gaunt. Despite that, Negan was relieved that his usual shitty attitude was back.

"Well...thanks." Negan said lamely.

Carl walked over and set the plate of food down on the bed, hoping back into it.

"I told Dwight that you weren't feeling great and that's why you slept in. He seemed to have everything under control. Told him you'd be out in a bit. Sorry but I didn't talk to Simon, he kinda creeps me the fuck out, ya know? Anyways, things are fine out there."

Negan sat down on the bed next to him, Carl handing him the plate.

"You eat yet?"

Carl nooded unconvincingly.

"Bullshit."

"Fine, I'll have some of yours. I'm still not that hungry."

Negan decided not to press the matter and started in on the food, because he in fact was starving. Last night had taken a toll on him too. Carl's eye watched him as he ate, a slightly uncomfortable silence settling over them. Things were different between them. Negan knew they had to talk more about everything, but the kid needed a break.

Negan scarfed the food down, and then proceeded to mull over when he would go from there.

"I gotta go check on a few things, and then I'm taking you to- do something, okay? How's your head?"

Carl thought back to his migraine- it felt like it had been so long ago. Years instead of hours.

"S'okay. Better than yesterday."

"Good. I'll be back." Negan pulled on some clothes and went for the door. He contemplated kissing the kid on the forehead or something- anything to let him know he was there for him after the previous night. But he didn't want to push things. He didn't really know what to do with the kid, but he had an idea. He left without another word.