How To Write Smart Characters

As authors, we’re constantly told to SHOW and not TELL-and I completely agree with this. To show a smart character being smart, he has to do smart things, and also use his surrounding characters to BOLSTER that fact. Make characters talk about how smart this character is because of X, Y, and Z. Have peers compliment their intelligence and quick wit.

A warning with this one: don’t overdo it. Other supporting characters repeating the same thing constantly can become irritating to readers. Insert the compliments in specific areas where you want to emphasize their intelligence or bring it to light. An example of this is in Harry Potter, where Hermione is often told how brilliant she is. Make the character informative and conclusive about the present situation or conflict of the story, which might come in handy to the reader.

There are different types of intelligence. From traditional books smarts, to emotional intelligence, to street smarts; everyone is diverse and unique. Maybe try dipping your toe into the pool of the other types of “smarts” if you’re looking to write a character smarter than you. 

Give your Smart Character a background that explains and shows they’re considered smart within the story. This includes schooling, accolades, winning something challenging, etc. Also, make sure you give this character one or two specific topics or specialties to be an expert in. Nobody knows everything about every topic, and we all know what it’s like to be around people who act like they do…

Have other characters affirm this character is smart. Praise, compliments, ooohhs, and awes; however, you wanna do it. Just do it, but don’t overdo it.

Give this Smart Character a “Smart Ego” or a “Smart Insecurity”. They either KNOW they’re really smart and tout that as their self-worth, believing themselves to be better than others because of it. Or, they have incredible self-esteem issues and don’t believe they’re smart at all. Either way, make whichever one you choose a deeply rooted flaw within the character and infuse it into their backstory. This leads to realism in your Smart Character.

***

Practical

Out of all the characters you’ve ever created, who is the smarter and why? Fight it out in the comments!