The Best Nigerian Fiction and Nonfiction Books To Read

Nigeria has a rich and diverse literary tradition, with numerous exceptional works of both fiction and nonfiction. Here are some highly regarded Nigerian books that you may find captivating:

Fiction:
1. "Things Fall Apart" by Chinua Achebe: A seminal work that explores African colonialism and the clash between tradition and the forces of change.
2. "Half of a Yellow Sun" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: Set during the Nigerian Civil War, this novel delves into the lives of characters caught up in the conflict and its aftermath.
3. "Americanah" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: A love story and cultural exploration of race, identity, and migration from Nigeria to the United States.
4. "Purple Hibiscus" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: This coming-of-age novel depicts the life of a young girl growing up in a strict and abusive household in Nigeria.
5. "The Fishermen" by Chigozie Obioma: A tale of brotherhood and tragedy that follows four Nigerian brothers in a small town.

Nonfiction:
1. "The Trouble with Nigeria" by Chinua Achebe: A short but impactful book that critically examines the root causes of Nigeria's challenges and provides insightful analysis.
2. "There Was a Country" by Chinua Achebe: A memoir reflecting on the Biafra war and discussing themes of identity, nationhood, and cultural heritage.
3. "Nigeria: A New History of a Turbulent Century" by Richard Bourne: A comprehensive historical account of Nigeria's tumultuous journey from colonialism to independence and beyond.
4. "We Should All Be Feminists" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: A powerful essay adapted from Adichie's TEDx talk, advocating for gender equality and encouraging a more inclusive society.
5. "Season of Anomy" by Wole Soyinka: A thought-provoking exploration of Nigerian society, politics, and cultural identity through the eyes of a disillusioned professor.

These books offer a glimpse into Nigeria's rich literary landscape, tackling a range of themes and narratives. Whether you seek fiction that captivates or nonfiction that provides insight into history and societal issues, these titles are highly recommended for both their literary value and cultural significance.