s i x

❝So tell me what you're looking for
Is it a picture-perfect girl
For you?❞

She only got through a handful of videos before she really had to get up and start being productive. But those videos really gave her insight on the character Gunwook was. He was becoming someone she sort of looked up too. She didn't know how she felt about that just yet.  

She cleaned and vacuumed before putting on the familiar black pants and navy blue work shirt. The house was quiet and she once again mindlessly locked her front door and walked in the distance.

〄〄〄

She was having such a crappy shift. Normally her shifts went pretty smoothly, since she's used to all the locals. But today there must be something in the air because almost all of the customers were having a bad day.

"You gave me the wrong amount of change back." A girl probably around her age sneered.

"I'm so sorry, let me fix that" She said calmly but inside she was horrified that she made a mistake, this was so unlike her.

"You know this happened one other time but I just let it go. But twice? C'mon can't you count? Jesus you're taking forever!" She hissed, throwing her hands up in the air.

She fought to keep her eyes from blurring, going as far as to bite her tongue and clench her jaw. It's been awhile since she felt like this at work, if ever.

"So sorry about that," She apologized, clearly it wasn't good enough because she snatched the money and walked out with a scoff.

The store was not big whatsoever, meaning that everyone in the store had just heard that commotion. Hanuel sighs as she rubs her eyes, not needing to worry about smearing makeup because she didn't wear any. Actually, she never wore any. Not only because she was bad at it but because a lot of the stuff she couldn't afford. They were just getting by, after all. It wasn't like she wanted to voluntarily work everyday, close by herself, and then walk home alone after working 6 hours.

So no, she didn't need to worry about rubbing her eyes red, not like there was anything to smudge.

"You look like you're having a tough day," Someone with a deep yet playful voice comments, making her immediately stop rubbing her eyes.

"Oh um it's alright," She said with a small smile, not that they could see it because of her mask. Her smile falls as soon as she takes a good look at the person in front of her. The fuzziness in her eyes clears until it focuses on a figure in front of her. Her eyes pop open as she realizes it was the guy from before. She was so focused on her looks that she didn't even realize the honey voice that he had. Haneul was so shocked to see him in daylight, since it was nowhere near closing time.

Chuckling a little he replies, "You don't have to lie, she could've been a little more patient."

"It was no problem," She nods, trying to get her voice to be less monotone. It's always been a big struggle for her or it's something she's become self conscious of more recently.

"I can't believe you're always working when I come by," He shakes his head, his crescent eye smile coming out. He wasn't wearing a hat today, so shaking his head meant his black, fluffy hair falling into his eyes. It was longer than it could've been, but it made him so much more attractive.

"Oh, well I like to work," She shyly smiles back, beginning to scan his items that look vaguely familiar. It's always types of spicy ramen and cheap soda.

"I bet. My work has been super tough lately, it's fun but I'm tired all the time," He sighed, never breaking eye contact with her.

"I understand, working long hours is hard but it's worth it in the end. That'll be $12.50." She breathes out. She was becoming breathless from trying to keep her voice soft and calm.

This time when he takes out the cash from his worn, black wallet, the dollars end up fluttering to the floor. He picks them up in a rush with a small grunt and what looks like a sheepish smile. She doesn't know for sure because of the mask, but it's a hunch.

"Sorry."

Please, he was too cute. She wanted to bang her head onto the counter because he was so endearing. God, what is wrong with her nowadays? Her feelings were coming to the forefront in tsunami waves. If only her past self could see her now.

"Ma'am? Are you okay?" He asked, genuinely concerned as she just took the money and froze.

"Um, yes sorry let me get you your change," She quickly opens the cash register and closes it before looking back at the guy. Today, he's wearing a black coat with a black shirt peeking underneath. He was wearing dark gray sweats and he couldn't have looked better.

She hands him his change and gets his bags before saying in a cheery voice, "I'll see you soon!" Then flashing his spectacular smile.

"Thank you for coming in," She remarks with a small smile of her own.

〄〄〄

She got home around 11:20 feeling more exhausted than ever. She didn't have a lot of homework this week, so she didn't have to worry about that. But as she lies in bed, she can't get herself to fall asleep. Haneul felt restless and was shifting every couple of minutes. She really needed to go to sleep, knowing she was going to be tired in the morning. But she knew what was really keeping her up, it was the show.

Sighing, she rolled over and picked up her phone. Squinting at the brightness, she quickly opened the app that had the program and hit the episode 2 button. If you can't beat them, join them. At least she thinks that was the saying.

She felt giddy as the intro started and it made her smile. It was a long time since she had felt things like this, it made her heart warm. The episode started off with the trainees gathering in an auditorium reacting to the first episode. Then an idol named Sunmi came in and everyone started freaking out. Haneul didn't know who she was but she was gorgeous, she would probably act the same way if she were in her presence. Fortunately, the trainees seemed to be having a good time, laughing at each other while still keeping the competitive aura between the two groups.

She was laughing along too, until she spotted Gunwook laughing too. Then her smile dropped, because his crescent eyes looked a little too familiar.