14.

"I don't get it," Romano spoke up as the scene began to change once more, "what could have made her hair-a change like that? I mean, if she had started out as a blonde or brunette it might-a make a little sense, but going from black hair to red? How does that-a even happen?"

"Exactly, it makes no sense! Was it, er, 'magic'?" Spain asked, rolling his eyes on the word magic, but unable to come up with anything else.

Other nations began to voice their confusion as well, directing their questions at the three New World siblings. Maria rolled her eyes with an annoyed huff and looked over to see if her brothers were going to say anything. Canada shrunk slightly under the attention of so many nations, his social battery clearly drained, while Diego looked like the only words he would be saying were curses. Great, it was her turn to deal with the idiots once again. "Look," she said, speaking over the nations to get them to quiet down, "we aren't 100% sure why her hair changed. Our running theory, though, is that the arrival of white settlers, and going from representing our natives to representing the settlers caused the change. We think that her body changed in order to better resemble her new people. Mattie changed a bit too, but his changes were small because he already looked similar to the settlers." 

The nations looked at her, listening, before murmuring amongst themselves once more. Maria rubbed her face in irritation, "Regardless, it's just hair, it doesn't matter." She raised her voice to talk over the murmurs for the second time.

"Agreed," Finland spoke up, "there should be no reason for anyone to discuss it further." His voice gained a dangerous edge as he glared at the chatty nations. 

Maria looked over at the man, a corner of her mouth tugging upwards. He was definitely an upgrade from England and France. She never would have thought that she would actually like her older siblings' parents, not after everything with Arthur and Francis, but these guys weren't so bad. 

A metallic clang brought everyone's attention back to the rift.

----------

Sweden and Denmark gathered their weapons, giving each of them a once over. Denmark grabbed his axe and a medium sized knife as Sweden grabbed a bow and arrows as well as a larger knife. The two were going on a hunt, something Amayeli hadn't had done in quite a while.

The small girl went up to them, barely reaching their mid thighs in height, and tugged on her farbror Matt's tunic. He looked down and gave her a smile, "Hey, Ama, what's up?"

"Can I go on the hunt with you?" She asked him with cautious hope in her eyes, her new family seemed to think she was more limited and fragile than her native family did. It was something that annoyed her at times, but she had learned to deal with it. She had been rather bored lately, hopefully they would let her join them on their hunt.

Denmark looked over at Sweden, silently asking permission, and smiled as the taller man nodded. Looking back down at Amayeli, he opened his mouth to say yes, but was immediately cut off.

"Absolutely not!" Finland exclaimed from the other side of the room. He marched over to the three of them, a stern expression fixed on his face, "How many times do I have to tell you? She is a little girl, I won't stand for her getting hurt like that!" 

Amayeli was surprised, her Mutsi really didn't think she was able to hunt. "But Mutsi-" she began, only to be cut off by Finland. 

"No," he said sternly, "young ladies shouldn't be doing such things, especially not at your age."

"Aw, come on Finn, she's a lot stronger than she looks," Denmark tried to defend her.

"No, she is a little girl!" Finland said.