18.

Joyful chatter and bright colors spilled out of the rift, erupting from the blackness of the memory change. The young focus of these memories was giggling up a storm, being carried around by one of her older brothers as he danced around. Bright laughter filled the Native American village as the sun's golden rays turned bronze.

"I wonder what they're celebrating," China thought out loud. A series of curious hums from various nations were his unsolicited responses. 

Canada tilted his head thoughtfully before a small grin split his lips apart. "Oh, I remember this," he muttered, playfully elbowing Diego. The Mexicos traded looks, Diego shrugged at his sister, he knew they hadn't been born yet, so why did Matthew look at them? Did he forget that he and 'meils were the oldest? Diego gave his older brother a deadpan look, but he wasn't looking so his eyes trailed over to the rift, a grumpy slouch overtaking his features. 

Maria was confused by her older brother's reaction to the memory as well, it was just some party--one that she hadn't been around to see. So why had Matthew looked at them expectantly, like he thought they would remember it and react with him? A look of understanding slowly bloomed on Maria's face. Oh, so that's what this was.

----------

Amayeli couldn't help but giggle as her brother began to swing her around. A smile so wide that it made her cheeks hurt was stuck on her face. Her hair flew every which way as her older brother adjusted his grip on her legs and began to spin in a circle. He was holding her by her ankles now, the soft breeze whipped across her face as she flew through the air. 

Their other siblings cleared away from the shrieking child. A few of the younger children saw this display and immediately climbed onto their older siblings, despite some protests. Others laughed and cheered, jumping in and out of Amayeli's path as she playfully attempted to grab them. 

Eventually, Amayeli was put down in a pile of giggles. Childish laughter came from above her, joining her in her glee. She swiped the dark curls from her face to see her twin standing over her.

"Come on, everyone's going to the river," Kanata forces out between giggles. His sister's laughter was contagious, and he was ashamed to say he had no immunity.

The small girl leapt up, smile stretching so wide it looked to be centimeters from splitting her face in half. However, instead of running towards the woodland path, like her twin would have expected, she dove for his knees. Kanata's shriek pulled yet more giggles from the girl as she hoisted him up, her arms wrapped around his knees. He was draped over her shoulder backwards as she began to run. Everything he could see was upside-down, even the laughing figures of his siblings walking behind them. 

"Ama!" Kanata shouted as he craned neck to look at the back of his sister's head. His only response was the shifting of black curls to reveal the playfully mischievous glint in his twin's bad eye and another flurry of giggles. 

With much effort, Kanata managed to pull himself up to sit on his sister's shoulder. She adjusted her grip on him in response, holding him up with both arms wrapped securely around his thighs. Picking up speed, Amayeli weaved around their siblings, excitedly running along the path. 

Soon, they made it to a clearing where many of their siblings had already gathered. Amayeli stopped near the center of the clearing and looked around. Many of her siblings sat on the ground or on rocks, a few had even found spots in the trees. The youngest of her older siblings were over by the river, playing in its waters that glowed a golden hue--stolen from the sun's last rays. 

Amayeli was practically vibrating with excitement, jumping up and down in place. A panicked hand on her head reminded her she was still carrying her brother, and she quickly dropped him on his feet in front of her. He gave a weary sigh and pinned her with a tired look, that she returned with another animated smile.