family

"Niki what in the fuck did you do." Sunoo entered Niki's apartment to see batches of almost every pastry he could imagine scattered around the kitchen. Niki turned to him with an apologetic smile. "Sorry... I stress bake." Sunoo scoffed. "Ya, I can see that."

Today was the day they had to leave for the wedding. Sunoo was expecting to just walk in here and pick Niki up, but it seemed like he had to do some quality control before they left otherwise Niki would probably explode.

Sunoo took another glance around the room and sighed. "Well now we can pack some of it up and bring some to my family, they'll love it. But I'll pack some of this stuff up while you get your luggage ready to leave." Niki nodded before taking off to what Sunoo assumed was his room.

----------

The two were already well on their way to Sunoos childhood home. Sunoo lived 3 hours from the university so they had a lot of time to kill. "I'm going to give you a rundown of my family so listen close." Niki, who was half asleep, turned to Sunoo trying to shake off any fatigue within him.

"So let's start with my parents, my father is a dentist and my mother is a lawyer." Niki's eyes widened in awe. "Damn." Sunoo laughed bitterly. "It was great because we had a lot of money, but both my parents are pretentious assholes." Niki's astonishment drained from his face. "...oh."

Sunoo waved his hand dismissively. "Eh it's whatever, most of my family is like that." Niki honestly had no idea how to respond to that so he just kept his mouth shut.

"Anyway, a lot of my aunts, uncles and cousins will be there. There are too many of them to just list off so if we see one I'll just tell you their name before they come over. They're all big gossipers so be careful about what you say around them. I've been on the receiving end of their rumours and it's not fun." Everyone had family members like that so Niki wasn't super worried. As long as Sunoo was there with him he should be fine.

"I do have a couple of cousins that I actually do like, but I don't know if they'll be there. They all had some sort of falling out with their parents." Niki looked at him with his eyebrows raised. "Huh? What do you mean?"

Sunoo let out a short breath. "To keep it short, one wanted to open up a photography studio but his parents didn't approve. Another got kicked out because he wanted to become a fashion designer and not a doctor, he's actually doing very well for himself right now, he's working with head designers in new york." Niki was confused, why were all these people being blacklisted by their families for wanting to pursue their dream? "And another one left because her parents wouldn't stop forcing her into relationships." Niki sat there stunned. He tried to find something to say but couldn't find anything worth saying.

Sunoo started laughing at Niki's obvious struggle. "Our family has gone to shit, I'm very aware." Niki didn't know what else to do so he slowly nodded. "Is there anyone else?"

Sunoo's face lit up in remembrance. "Yup, my two brothers. The one you met was Yeonjun, he's 26 and getting married to Soobin. As long as we don't mess up like we did when they first saw us we should be fine. Those two are annoyingly in love, they'll be in their own world." His face scrunched up in disgust and Niki chuckled, glad that they didn't seem to be a threat.

"But, he is not the one we have to watch out for." Niki's mouth shut, glancing at the suddenly serious Sunoo. "We really have to worry about my little brother Jungwon. The man is crazy perceptive and watches you like a hawk even though he doesn't say much. If anyone is going to call us out, it's going to be him."

Sunoo took a sharp turn to the left, "But he's bringing his new boyfriend apparently so he might be preoccupied with him." Niki slowly nodded as Sunoo continued, "Don't, under any circumstances, talk to Jungwon alone. You seem like someone who would crack under pressure so it will only end badly."

Niki scoffed. "That is not true, I am amazing under pressure." Sunoo laughed at Niki's crossed arms and offended tone, only making Niki more frustrated. "I'm sure you're no better. Your face gets red in a matter of seconds." Sunoo clicked his tongue but stayed silent, finally pulling up to what used to be his home.

"Well... we're here." He pulled up into the driveway of a fairly big house, now putting the car in park. All Niki could do was take a big breath in preparation. He knew they had practiced this and spent time together, but this was Sunoo's family, not some friends or random people at a party. Once he gathered himself, Niki looked to Sunoo who was still rooted in his seat.

Sunoo was simply looking in front of him, gaze not focused on anything. To see Sunoo this void of emotions was slightly unnerving. "Sunoo?" He was obviously unfocused as he didn't even flinch at Niki's call. "Hyung?"

After another lack of response Niki gently put his hand on Sunoos arm making his head snap towards Niki. "What? Are you okay?"

Niki's brows furrowed. "...what? Why are you worried about me?" Sunoo turned his body towards Niki. "I don't know if you've noticed but the only time you call me hyung is if you are nervous or drunk, so considering the circumstances it's a valid reaction." Niki slowly retraced his hand, still quietly observing Sunoo.

"Why are you inspecting me like that? Stop." Niki responded with a squint of his eyes. "You're fidgeting, are you nervous?" Sunoo's hands snapped to his lap while he turned his body forward once again. "No."

"You are never this quiet, I know something is wrong." Sunoo looked into Niki's eyes before breaking the gaze and looking towards the steering wheel. "I'll be honest with you, I am not okay right now but I don't want to talk about it." Niki was about to protest but stopped himself, he knew how it felt to be interrogated when the last thing you wanted to do was talk. He wanted to help Sunoo with whatever was bothering him but he wouldn't have been able to help if Sunoo didn't want it.

Niki gave him a soft smile. "Okay." He saw Sunoo's shoulders sag in what looked like relief. "But, if at any time you want to talk about it, let me know." Sunoo gave him a nod before jumping out of the car, grabbing both of the boys' suitcases. Niki was surprised with the sudden energy boost but didn't complain as he made his way beside Sunoo who was practically at the front door already.

He stood beside Sunoo, waiting for him to knock. He could still sense the tension so he lightly took Sunoo's hand on his own, giving it a small squeeze. That must've done something for Sunoo as he took a deep breath and unlocked the door, making his way into his childhood home.