CHAPTER 15a - Isolation pt.2

"Ha! Cara was right! It's a great day," Jonathan cheered. "Hey, where are the kids?"

Lora wiped her palms on the back of her trousers.

"They're with Jess and Krista. They're taking them to the aquarium. They'll be here in the afternoon," she answered absentmindedly.

"All of them?" he beamed. "Great. I can tell them the news. Will that bum be coming too?"

"Please, be nice, Jonathan."

Jonathan looked at her for the longest time before he snorted, "Anything for you, Tits!"

Lora's face reddened as her eyes dropped down to her cleavage. She looked in the mirror again. Cara said she looked pretty. Owen said she looked delightful. Back in the staff room, she almost thought she looked sexy, an adjective she would never have associated herself with before Owen called her that. But now, she merely felt ridiculous. She didn't like the way Jonathan was looking at her, making fun of her as though she was a laughable creature who could never be as alluring as the other girls.

She snatched a towel from his locker and threw it over her shoulders to cover herself up.

"There's no point in hiding yourself now. That fucker! Did you see the way he was gawking at you? Didn't mean to be disrespectful, my ass! You can say what you want, Lor, but I know that look. That guy is dying to fuck you."

Lora pressed her lips shut. She wasn't one to hold her tongue but today, she had no choice. If she allowed herself to answer back, she would have told him he was right. That was exactly what he wanted to do. She would have told him that at that very moment, she was internally battling with a strong and scary part of her that wanted to run to the doctor's office and beg him to do just that. Beg him to take back the words he said just now and devour her instead. Beg him to whisper sweet nothings as he sent her to oblivion.

She didn't even care that she might not see him or even hear from him again after Thursday. Thursday! The idea that their affair might be so short-lived only made her feel desperate. She didn't care it couldn't last between them anyway. He made her feel good about herself in ways she never thought possible. Even with just a look, he made her feel desirable and deserving of bliss. She wanted to tell her husband she wasn't laughable and thanks to Dr Owen Shaw she had proof.

But instead, she remained silent. She grabbed the basin and filled it with water. She tried to focus her thoughts but her brain was a cyclone of flashbacks. Of images and sound and feeling. Owen's hands on her, his mouth, his eyes. Explosions of white. Cara's voice.

He's emotionally unavailable.

That didn't matter. She didn't need him to be available emotionally. Soon, he will not be available at all.

We can plan for the transfer on Thursday.

His face was so blank as he said it. Not a drop of emotion.

We'll be out of this hell hole in less than a week.

Yes. Her repentance will begin. Her temptation will magically disappear. No more green oceans. No more smooth songs.

We'll figure it out. We'll figure it out.

There was nothing to figure out. She had to go back to normality. That was all she needed to do.

She needed to bathe her husband. She needed to shave his stubble and soak his feet. She needed the mindless routine that numbed her racing mind and riveting heart as Jonathan rambled on about how all men are the same. Especially the young ones. They only want one thing. And she was too innocent. She trusted everyone because she was as good as a lamb. Luckily, her husband was a cunning wolf who protected her from the evils of this world. He could protect her from disgrace. Right?