CHAPTER 26a - Perish pt.2

Lora's heels were loud against the wooden surface as she ran flat out across Pontoon F. She could see Cara's hair blowing in the wind as she leaned over and waved her way. She raised her hand and waved back, relieved that they hadn't left without her despite being almost ten minutes late.

"You made it!" Cara squealed jumping up and down, her deep pink dress willowing behind her, making her look like a Disney princess.

"Just barely," Lora replied breathlessly as she made her way up onto the deck. "I had trouble parking. Sorry, I'm late, Mike," she went on turning to Mike who had come over to welcome her with a warm, fatherly hug and a champagne flute in his hand.

"Don't worry about it, Scout. Well, I think that's everyone," he announced looking around him. Lora noticed the small crowd of people to her right and she waved at them awkwardly. Young Isaac blushed and gave her a shy nod. Nessy grinned slyly. Vico made a soldier's salute towards her as the two men by his side eyed her from head to toe. Lora barely had time to notice how handsome they were before she looked away embarrassed. "I'll tell the captain that we can get a move on. Isaac, will you help me with the boarding bridge?"

But just as the two men crouched down to draw the bridge back, they heard running and yelling, and everyone leaned over the side again to see what the commotion was about. Lora had barely reached the railing when she heard cheers around her, the loudest coming from Cara, but her own heart had stopped completely at the sight of Dr Owen Shaw running like a mad man towards their boat. The engine was felt rumbling beneath them, and jets of water were shooting from the back of the boat. Owen jumped onto the bridge and climbed up onto the deck to a round of hoots and applause.

Mike chuckled and stepped forward to shake the doctor's hand. Owen gave him a great, dimpled smile as he released a heavy breath and clutched at his heart after all the running.

"I thought you weren't coming!"

Lora didn't realise she'd spoken out loud, nor was she aware that every pair of eyes had turned on her. Not until a pair of very bright and very green irises met hers.

"I only came here was because Cara said you weren't coming," she went on, her voice sounding ten times steadier than she felt.

Nobody could see it, but all Lora wanted to do at that moment was to crumble down and cry and scream, but his stern eyes and taut jaw kept her in place.

Dr Owen Shaw pursed his lips and swallowed before answering, because he too had to work hard to keep his voice from shaking. "Well, the only reason I came is that I heard you were going to be here."

Nothing could have prepared her for his answer. He had left her. He had turned around and shut the door halfway through an argument, dismissing her until she had something he wanted to hear. And now, less than twenty-four hours later he was saying, in front of a whole crowd of people, that he was here because of her. Her lower lip trembled and she turned back towards the boarding bridge, wanting to run away before anyone could see the wetness in her eyes. But to her horror, they were already about a hundred meters away from the marina.

Lora felt the urge to swear as she had never felt it before. She wanted to cuss out, from the bottom of her guts, and release the anger brewing up inside of her. She turned her eyes to the skies, wondering if this was God's idea of a joke, then she simply shook her head and trudged away to the front of Mike's yacht.

She was actually considering the thought of jumping overboard when she heard his footsteps behind her. "I don't have an answer yet, Owen," she announced over her shoulder.

"I didn't ask for one," he sighed even though he wanted exactly that. "I just... I heard Cara tell Mike you were going and I, I couldn't bear the thought of you being here, avoiding me."

"I'm not avoiding you," she answered all too quickly.

His silence made her turn around and her face softened at the sight of him. He looked vulnerable and when he next spoke, the pain in his voice pierced her soul.

"You just said the only reason you came here was that you thought I wouldn't be here. If that's not avoiding me then I don't know what is."

Lora screwed her eyes shut and squeezed the bridge of her nose. She did not want to cry tonight. "I just need some space to think. I... I'm not trying to hurt you."

Her words were hard to digest. Owen couldn't imagine staying away from her for another minute knowing how they had left things between them. He had let his emotions get the better of him. He had pushed her into a corner and left and now he hated himself for it. So, slowly he nodded, agreeing to a request that went against every instinct in every fibre of his body.

Seeing this, Lora breathed again, the salty breeze brushing the insides of her lungs as she walked past him to the back of the boat. She reappeared onto the stern deck and she could see dark pupils darting her way from every direction, each carrying questions their corresponding lips were too polite to ask. Except for Cara's, of course.

"What the hell was that? Is something going on between you and Shaw? How could you not tell me?" she bombarded as soon as Lora crept back towards the party that was beginning to take shape.

There was music and lights, and Mike was going around with the appetizers his wife had prepared. Lora couldn't see her anywhere, so she guessed she wasn't in the mood to join them after all. Isaac had taken his place behind the white and blue counter and was making drinks for everyone.

"Cara, I swear I will tell you everything tomorrow morning over coffee," Lora promised, taking her friend's hands in hers. "But tonight, I just want to forget the past eight years or so. Can you help me do that?"

Cara looked back at her with a fierce determination before pulling her towards the bar. "Say no more!" she said as she handed her a clear drink with fizz and a cucumber slice.

Lora eyed it suspiciously knowing it was not lemonade. "What's this?" she asked looking from Cara to Isaac and back to Cara.

"GnT," they replied in unison.

"I don't drink gin."

Cara raised a perfectly arched brow at her. "I thought you wanted to forget," she mused.

At that moment, Owen came back onto the deck. Their eyes met as though they were opposing magnetic forces. His brows furrowed, wordlessly challenging the drink in her hand.

"Bottoms up!" she muttered before downing her glass as though it held water. Cara whooped and raised her own glass in celebration.