two

season 1, episode 21 : red herring

"Thank you for offering to help me," Emma told Isa, who was reading the back of a box of hair dye, "Cleo and Rikki thought I was being dramatic for wanting to color my hair."

"Don't worry about it," The brunette mermaid replied, glancing up, "I've lived around some crazy land people in my life who've taught me everything there is to know about changing your appearance."

Emma smiled as she locked her bathroom door, before taking a seat on the stool she had brought in.

"Wait, are you sure you want this color?" Isa's eyes widened as she flipped around the box, seeing the picture of the model for the first time.

"Yes, I do," Emma sounded certain as she nodded her head, "the nice woman at the store told me it would dry lighter."

"Yes, but Emma, you're blon-"

"I'm sure," Her tone told Isa there was no reasoning that could change her mind.

"Alright," Isa sighed, "But do you want to wait for Rikki? Maybe she would want to help you as well?"

The last thing Isa wanted was to be stuck in the same room with Rikki. She still wasn't able to look at her without remembering what an asshole she had been to her. But she was hoping that Rikki would be able to forcefully knock some sense into Emma.

"Are you backing out?" Emma asked.

"Of course not!" Isa quickly said.

"Then let's do this now," Emma leaned back in the stool, her eyes watching Isa with an impatient look.

"Alright," Isa sighed again, before putting a pair of plastic gloves on.

It didn't take long at all for Emma's tail to make its appearance. Isa was glad she had remembered gloves, otherwise her tail would also be out, and it would be a disaster.

She had just finished coating all of Emma's hair in the dye, and placed it all in a plastic cap to let the color set when there was a knock on the door.

"Who is it?" the girls asked in unison.

The doorknob jiggled a bit, and right as Isa was going to unlock the door, there was a click and it swung open to reveal Rikki.

Isa froze, her eyes widening at the sight of the blonde. Rikki, however, glanced at the girl with a blank expression before turning to Emma.

"How's it going?" she asked, her voice strangely calm.

"The door was locked," Emma seemed surprised.

"I have a key," Rikki flashed a bobby pin, "Why's your tail out?"

"Isa neglected to inform me that water was involved," Emma shot the girl a look.

"You told me you read the instructions on the box," Isa's voice was beginning to sound impatient, "did you prepare for this at all?"

"No," Emma said, "I'm trying to be less predictable."

"Reading the instructions isn't predictable, Emma, it's common sense," the annoyed mermaid sat on the side of the bathtub, her head in her hands.