Chapter Three: The Wolf is Revealed.

I watched as a wolf rose steadily to its paws, from the place where seconds ago Samantha had lain. Electricity snapped and cracked off its fur in the after transformation energy. Little static bursts, popping against the pavement and building walls, running along in little streams of yellow, before diffusing into nothing. The last pieces of clothing fell from its muscular body, to add to the litter strewn about the alleyway. The wolf snarled at its tormentors and that was the last straw for the men. All three of them let out a unified cry and each was only interested in saving themselves, scrambled up to their feet and fled on surprisingly steady feet for ones so drunk. Terror sobering them up enough to push through the pain I had inflicted.

Next the wolf turned it's head in my direction and I froze up completely. All my training went out the window, as my mind was struggling to comprehend that the sweet loving girl I knew, was in fact a primalupus; one of the very creatures that me and my parents hunted. Two humanoid blue eyes stared at me from out of the wolf's face and in that moment I knew without a doubt that Samantha was a wolf and that everything about her had been a lie. A lie I had fallen for.

I stumbled backwards myself, my legs shaky with adrenaline, as the wolf approached. It crossed the distance between us silently, in big loping strides, as the massive pads on its paws cushioned its weight and silenced its advance like a true predator. Any other time I would have marveled at the majestic beauty of the creature in front of me, but that was the thing about all supernaturals, no matter what situation you were in, they always manage to lull you with their appearance of other worldliness. It was dangerous to get sucked in to their ethereal beauty. I backed up until I was pressed against a large dumpster and closed my eyes with a shudder as the wolf approached. Not all primalupuses had control over their animal instincts, when in their wolf form and I wondered to what level Samantha had retained her human consciousness. It stopped muzzle to face with me, so close that its breath was heating my skin with every pant. Its shoulders were easily at my head height, as it just continued to look at me. I had no idea what it was thinking, but I met its stare back, not looking away. Then with a soft whimper it fell away fro me as the spasms of a transformation began to change her back into the girl I knew.

After a few seconds Samantha lay there on the cold concrete, completely naked as she shivered from the cold of the night, now her thick pelt of fur and clothing was gone. Her chest was still heaving with laboured breathes of having gone through two transformations in such a short time. The deep breathes she was taking was making her breasts move up and down with every lung full. Her hair fell down around her shoulders, wild and free. Slowly the brilliant blue in her eyes was fading to the usual clearer blue her eyes normally were. She got onto her knees, still shaky from the adrenaline and no doubt starving. They required a lot of energy every time they changed forms and usually found it in the form of raw meat; especially organs like the heart and liver.

She reached out to me and I saw the confusion and fear in her own eyes, but I was too scared to process her emotions and did the only thing I had been taught to do, when in a situation that you couldn't win. I ran. I ran away in survival mode, leaving her exhausted body in the street. primalupuses were wild and predatory by nature and not to be trusted.

I fled out onto the street, passing the car and not stopping for my bag, as I reached the other side and jumping over a low chain fence, continued up past a row of garages. I kept going, through people's gardens, through the park and then finally cutting through the cemetery. Thankful that I knew this town like the back of my hand, I just never imagined I would use that knowledge when fleeing the one girl I had trusted all my life, and loved. What was most shocking was that it wasn't even a full moon. All hunters knew that primorphs could only shift into their animal form on a full moon, at least that was what we had all been taught.