Chapter Sixteen: A Night on the Town.

Nia.

I was heading down to the town with Kody and the rest of the circle, after the afternoon lectures had finished. We headed towards a well known local bar called The Eye. Once inside we headed for the bar, where we each placed our orders and then retreated to a corner, far away from the booming music and roaming spot lights, that switched colours and streaked over dance floor; highlighting the embracing and gyrating couples. Kody made her excuse to go to the toilet and asked Thea to go with her, so I was left behind with the two stoic girls; ones I knew hardly anything about. They took a sip of their drinks before turning to me.

"We know what you are Nia, after your little display in the barn." I had been reaching for my drink, but froze half way my hand outstretched and looked at them in shock.

"Don't worry, for a small promise, a favour really, we're willing to overlook this." I shifted uneasily in my seat, not sure why they were doing this, or what they were about to ask of me.

"What promise?" They quickly glanced at each other in agreement.

"We'll discuss this later, but first you have to promise." I looked towards the toilet, but Kody and Thea hadn't yet reappeared. I nodded and they smiled knowingly.

"You see we are also hunters, like you and your parents were. Your parents were actually excellent hunters and very well regarded within the organisation. It was a shame they turned out to be supernaturals."

"Do you know what happened to them?" They nodded together in union.

"Of course, we personally broken them, to teach them a lesson. They were traitors and spies and had to be made an example of." I felt numb with shock and unable to move. I'd run this scenario through my head so many times. Where someone finally admitted to torturing my parents and I ended up killing them to extract vengeance, but now I just sat here; not moving.

"We sent them back to their house, in case they had any primalupus pack members there too. That way we could dispose of a pack as well." A big ball of anger swelled up in inside me and sat heavy on my chest, a burning sphere of energy and feral wrath.

"So what do you want?"

"We want you to join us in our work. You might be a supernatural as well, like your parents were, but you'll never be accepted in their communities. You'll forever be on the outside, shunned by both human and supernatural alike. The only peace you can get it to continue your mother and fathers work."

"And what will happen once I've done this?"

"You'll be killed as well, but at least the you'll be at peace. We'll give you until tomorrow to come to a decision." They got up and left, just as Kody and Thea re-emerged. They came and sat down next me as the girls exited the bar.

"Why are they leaving?" probed Thea.

"They had to go." It was a lame excuse, but it was the best I could come up with in my traumatized condition. I couldn't stay here and after downing the rest of my drink left the same way; ignoring the questions of my friends. I needed to get out of there, to get some fresh air and clear my head. It seemed wherever I turned someone either wanted to use me, or feared me. Even if I did agree to their terms, I'd be killed once I'd outlived my usefulness. I don't know how an exile was killed, but the archangels had found a way, when they hunted as many down as they could; maybe the organisation had found a way too.

I pushed through the grinding, swaying and pulsing bodies towards the glowing green exit sign. I was alone this time and my Samantha wasn't about to come to my rescue. Maara appeared out of nowhere and was at my elbow, guiding me out to the mouth of an alley.