Arranged Marriage (pt.1)

Pairing - Zhongli x gn!reader

Warnings - None

The ceremony between you and him was quick and surprisingly uneventful. Draped in golden robes to match his own regality, you stood with hands clenched as the two of you were officially wedded. Tears pricked your eyes but you made sure they never fell as your husband's draconic gaze landed on your painted face.

Rex Lapis, your god, had desired a mate for reasons unknown to you, but it wasn't long before the adepti swept you away to the predicament you were in now. It hadn't been the worst, you supposed, as they had all treated you kindly, but the lack of control with the situation had you gnashing your teeth.

Arranged marriages were not uncommon, and if your Lord had simply asked for your hand traditionally, you most likely would not have a problem with it, after all, there was no one else you loved.

But now you refused to look him in the eye and shook the hand that tried to lead you by the small of your back off. You heard a small sigh, of what emotion you couldn't determine, but you didn't care to look back, still upset with him, and you'd do anything in your power to show that.

You entered his domain of full, bright, white clouds painted orange and red hues from a nonexistent sunset. You couldn't deny that it was breath-taking and you had to stop yourself from simply gazing in wonder, not wanting to give him a sliver of something to be proud about.

There was a home in the domain, swirling, carved wood with ancient designs you couldn't understand and a large red door that you swung open without care, your husband trailing behind you without a word. The inside was warmer than you expected, not just in temperature, but in design as well. The browns and burnt oranges gave off a 'homey' feel and the large couches with blankets thrown over the edge had you wanting to throw yourself on them.

In your looking around, your husband had managed to sneak up behind you. "Is it to your liking?"

If you didn't know any better you'd have thought he sounded nervous. "Yes." You said simply, face set in stone. You turned to him. "Will we have to consummate the marriage immediately?"

His face fell slightly. "No. We do not have to consummate the marriage ever, should you not want to."

"Do you?"

"I-" he paused, and by the look on his face you could tell he was going through every possible answer, finding the best one to please you. "It is up to you."

You hummed and began to peel off your wedding garments till you got to the undermost robe. Rex Lapis had quickly looked away from your 'naked' form as you tossed the garments over the arm of the couch and flopped on a pile of throw pillows, sinking into the feeling as your feet were given a rest.

You rested your eyes half-open, just enough to see your husband, standing there looking foolish. "Are you simply going to stand there?"

"I did not know what you wished me to do."

You sighed, sitting up from your mini throne of pillows and motioned him to come forward. He was hesitant, and you didn't blame him given how you've made your displeasure with this arrangement obvious, but you felt bad for him when he stood there looking like a dejected puppy.

He stood in front of you and you got up on your knees to press his shoulders down. He eventually got the memo and sat next to you on the couch, posture rigid. You sighed again and grabbed his hand, running circles through the tense muscles. As mad as you were, this was your situation now, and holding onto a grudge against him would only make this whole thing more unbearable.

"You need to relax, husband. You're so tense."

He looked at you in shock, one of the fingers of the hand you were kneading twitched.

"What?" You raised your eyebrow at him.

"I never thought you'd say such a thing to me."

"Why?"

He turned his head from you, hiding whatever expression he was making. "You were upset with the wedding, and you made that fairly clear. I didn't think you'd call me such a name, when you so obviously despise me."

"I do not despise you husband, I am simply angry."

"I apologize."

You shook your head. "If you had simply asked me, I would've said yes."

He whipped his head towards you. "Truly?"

"Yes. Now can we go to bed? I'm tired."

"Of course." But you missed the small smile on his face as you walked to what you assumed was the bedroom door.

-

You woke up to the faux sun shining in your face. Bright rays lighting up the room through thin curtains that did nothing to hide the light. There was a rising feeling in your stomach when you felt an arm curl around your waist when you shuffled. You snuggled deeper into your pillow to hide whatever face you were making (you didn't know) as the arm tightened even more, pulling you back to a hard chest.

Steeling your nerves, you turned around only to see your husband's eyes wide open, staring at you like you were covered in some kind of ethereal light. You flinched, not expecting to see his cor lapis irises looking at you with such an intensity you felt the heat rise to your face.

"You look very beautiful." His voice was coarse and slow, a pleasant sound to your still tired ears.

You scoffed playfully. "How beautiful could I be so early in the morning?"

But it seems your husband took your question seriously and moved to hover over your increasingly warming form. He stayed for only a second until he leaned down, squeezing his arms around your side in a kind of hug and letting his cheek rest against the side of your forehead. "You're the most gorgeous creature my eyes have ever beheld."

You were stunned, mouth gaping and the heat spreading down to your chest. "Husband-"

"Morax."

You blinked. "What?"

"Please call me by my name, just once."

"Alright, Morax." You felt his throat rumble against your cheek in a strange, draconic purr. "Shall we start our day?"

Maybe this marriage wouldn't be so bad.

Word Count - 1063