Part 6

You were sitting at your desk in the home office you made for yourself, focused on projections for the urgent care when a knock on the door interrupted your focus. Billy walked in with his usual arrogant gait, his gaze locked on you.

"You look busy," he drawled, coming over to where you were sitting. Standing beside you, he leaned back on the desk, casually flipping through the excel printouts you'd been reviewing.

"I am busy." You grabbed the sheets from his hand and placed them back on the desk. "What do you want?"

"What's all this stuff?"

"Work."

"Didn't you cash me in as a golden ticket? Thought that meant you never had to work again."

"I used you to quit the hospital, not my entire career."

"Could've just switched jobs instead of dragging me into your mess."

"Then I'd be working for another soul-sucking board of assholes." You sighed with resignation. There was so much to be done and it felt like time was running out. Part of the reason you'd agreed to Alistair's plans wasn't just for financial gain, but also to have access to his wealthy contacts who could be of use when it came to permits and donations. Unfortunately Alistair was still mad and you were drowning in bureaucratic red tape. "At this rate, that'll happen anyway."

"What are you trying to get done?"

"Like you give a shit."

"I don't. I'm just killing time." He cocked his eyebrow. "So tell me."

Sitting back in your chair, you cast a wary glance at the task list on your laptop screen. "Build a clinic in my old neighbourhood." Dejected, you bit the inside of your cheek. "But that's gonna be a lot tougher than I thought."

"Why? Not enough funding?"

"Permit issues. I was hoping Alistair would help with that-

"But he's pissed." Billy tipped his head to the side. "And he's a vengeful old prick."

"Now you tell me."

"I know people who can help."

Surprised, you returned your attention back to him. "Really?"

"Yeah. Same family friends, remember?"

"How could I forget," you muttered, angling forward. "But why would you help me? What's in it for you?"

A small smile played across his lips. "Maybe I'm doing it out of the goodness of my heart."

"You don't have one. So what do you want?"

The smile transitioned into a fully amused smirk. "There' s a wedding I have to attend. A good friend of mine. As much as I want to keep this shit between us a secret, he found out about you."