Part 8

You watched as Billy quickly grabbed the phone off the table before you could answer it. The flirtatious smile on his face instantly disappeared when he saw it was Calvin's name on the display screen.

"Why is he calling you so late?"

Pitch-black eyes leveled you with accusations. "Booty call, obviously."

His eyes lit up with anger as he withdrew from you. "You think this is a fucking joke?"

"Why are you pissed?"

"Should I be happy about your boyfriend calling?"

"You have no right to be pissed. You've been sleeping with god knows how many women for months-"

"Because this was never supposed to be a fucking marriage!" he yelled.

"Exactly," you yelled back. "So don't be a hypocrite!"

Your blood boiled with rage, and if his clenched jaw was any indication he felt the same. That only infuriated you more because he had no right – none – to get angry when he'd be the one fucking around from the very beginning. "I think you should leave," you said.

"Not going anywhere." He shifted off the bed and started pacing the floor.

Shirt open, hair ruffled, rage still etched on his face, you leaned back against the headboard and watched him.

He stopped suddenly, gesturing with his hand. "You need to stop seeing him."

"Are you gonna stop sleeping around?" you asked pointedly.

He stilled, staring at you intently. Silence ensured, as if he was contemplating your request for the first time. Unfuckingbelievable. Did he genuinely think you'd be faithful while he slept around? You threw a pillow at him-

-he caught the damn thing, snapping out of his daze. "Yeah, I will."

"Really? Is that supposed to convince me?" you mocked. "You don't sound too sure."

"I'm sure," he repeated, a lot more convincingly this time. "Look." Approaching closer, he came to a stop next to the bed. His eyes locked with yours, filled with emotions that both thrilled and frightened you. "I've been a disappointment my entire life. Not ambitious, too wild, too reckless. I've heard it all." He took a seat next to you. "I'm not playing that game any more. Either I'm enough or I'm not. That goes for my family. And you."

"What does that mean?"

"There are no second chances. You fuck up, I leave. I won't beg, I won't plead. I'm not gonna fight for anyone who doesn't want me."

You contemplated his words, noting the somber truth in his eyes. He meant every word, and that's what scared you. Alistair's threat echoed in your ears. Three years. That was the expiry date for this marriage. Nothing more than that, and you reminded yourself of that. Whatever this was between you and Billy, it couldn't last.